Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,

Wife and I were playing and there was a bit of confusion with James Cook's card. We have never played the game before so we are a bit unsure. It states that "Your first colony produces an additional +2 Culture." Colonies don't produce Culture normally right? It's the phrasing "an additional" that is confusing. In this case when I acquired the card I had 2 colonies. Would those colonies now produce 3 Culture for me every turn as long as I had the leader card?

Clarification appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikehouserock wrote:
Hi there,

Wife and I were playing and there was a bit of confusion with James Cook's card. We have never played the game before so we are a bit unsure. It states that "Your first colony produces an additional +2 Culture." Colonies don't produce Culture normally right? It's the phrasing "an additional" that is confusing. In this case when I acquired the card I had 2 colonies. Would those colonies now produce 3 resources for me every turn as long as I had the leader card?

Don't have the rules in front of me (especially the new ones), but I would think that wording is because some colonies do give culture. So if your first colony doesn't provide culture, it would be "0+2=2" culture points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Microbadge: Member of the BGG Community since 2000Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Ragdoll cat loverMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Level 14 BGG poster
Ikehouserock wrote:
In this case when I acquired the card I had 2 colonies. Would those colonies now produce 3 resources for me every turn as long as I had the leader card?
Yep, I had this combo the other night (but I had five colonies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
Ikehouserock wrote:
Hi there,

Wife and I were playing and there was a bit of confusion with James Cook's card. We have never played the game before so we are a bit unsure. It states that "Your first colony produces an additional +2 Culture." Colonies don't produce Culture normally right? It's the phrasing "an additional" that is confusing. In this case when I acquired the card I had 2 colonies. Would those colonies now produce 3 resources for me every turn as long as I had the leader card?

Don't have the rules in front of me (especially the new ones), but I would think that wording is because some colonies do give culture. So if your first colony doesn't provide culture, it would be "0+2=2" culture points
To be clear - Historic Territories give a one-time culture bonus (no culture production). James Cook's culture production is so far the only effect that gets continuous production from colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikehouserock wrote:
Would those colonies now produce 3 resources culture for me every turn as long as I had the leader card
I'm guessing this was a typo, but I corrected it for any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Ikehouserock wrote:
Would those colonies now produce 3 resources culture for me every turn as long as I had the leader card
I'm guessing this was a typo, but I corrected it for any case.
It was! Was trying to quickly write on my mobile. I've edited the OP, thanks for pointing it out.

And thanks everyone for the clarification! Much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steinman wrote:
hist wrote:
Ikehouserock wrote:
Hi there,

To be clear - Historic Territories give a one-time culture bonus (no culture production). James Cook's culture production is so far the only effect that gets continuous production from colonies.
Just told my wife about this and now she's riled up again. The thing that bothers her is still the usage of "an additional", especially if it's the case that colonies don't produce culture normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wasser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that in addition to anything else the colony produces, it produces 2 (or 1) culture. Otherwise someone would ask on BGG if the colony now only produces culture because all it says is "your colonies now produce 2 (or 1) culture." It's very hard to be perfectly exact about every little thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nate Wasser wrote:
The point is that in addition to anything else the colony produces, it produces 2 (or 1) culture. Otherwise someone would ask on BGG if the colony now only produces culture because all it says is "your colonies now produce 2 (or 1) culture." It's very hard to be perfectly exact about every little thing.
Tell that to my boss. Thanks, Nate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls