Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rumor tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I backed Folklore: The Affliction on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Godfather fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
So rumor tokens only give you the bonus influence if a "vampire" encounter card matures, this refers to just the 3 different vampire encounter cards correct? Doesn't this essentially let the hunters know that location has a vampire in it? Sure they might know the location, but doesn't this kill any type of encoutner surprise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: Rock Music fanMicrobadge: Chocolate loverMicrobadge: F1 fanMicrobadge: Tennis fan
Yep, you got it.

But don't forget this is a game of bluff & misdirection, not just deduction.

What about if you put the rumour token on a non-vampire encounter, for example...? You could use that to lure the hunters away from the real target, or keep them off your tail if you're in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: "I play a Stratocaster"Microbadge: Guitar fanMicrobadge: Bass Guitar fanMicrobadge: Guitar playerMicrobadge: " I play a Les Paul"
Yes, it only has an effect with a Vampire encounter.

The reason that Dracula may place it on a non-Vampire is to bluff or misdirect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I backed Folklore: The Affliction on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Godfather fanMicrobadge: H. P. Lovecraft fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
Pudsy wrote:
Yep, you got it.

But don't forget this is a game of bluff & misdirection, not just deduction.

What about if you put the rumour token on a non-vampire encounter, for example...? You could use that to lure the hunters away from the real target, or keep them off your tail if you're in trouble.
Good points, just wanting to make sure I have it correct. Haven't sat down and played yet, so hadn't thought about strategy yet. But that is certainly a good idea, and will have to remember it. I planned on not using rumor tokens in the first game, I want to see how easy it is on both sides without it. Seems like the bonus points could shift the game dramatically. Although with never having played I don't really know one way or the other. The 3 extra points though added to 3, 4, or 5 points from getting a vampire matured seems like a ton when only needing 13 to win. Assuming that the vampire doesn't get revealed and defeated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Video gamerMicrobadge: Rock Music fanMicrobadge: Chocolate loverMicrobadge: F1 fanMicrobadge: Tennis fan
One thing to note is that 3/4/5 points is actually an error in the rules (talked about elsewhere here). It's actually only 3 or 4 points, depending on the vampire. None of them are worth 5 alone.

And yeah, if you were lucky enough to mature vampires with rumour tokens, you could technically win with just 2 of them (6 or 7 points each). But achieving that is quite a challenge against determined hunters.

Reports I've seen so far indicate it's fairly well balanced. Although it's early days yet.

It does seem to be the kind of game you could easily house-rule if balance became a problem and/or where one side is more experienced than the other.

eg. omit rumour tokens, some/all of power cards, etc.

The way the rules have you play an introductory game without those things, and without lairs, isn't a bad idea - to keep things a little bit simpler for a first game. Just bear in mind Dracula will have a tough time without those things! You may be better resetting and playing a fresh game with all the elements after a few learning turns without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Medical ProfessionalMicrobadge: Age of Sail enthusiastMicrobadge: Hex & Counter WargamerMicrobadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
rudis21 wrote:
The 3 extra points though added to 3, 4, or 5 points from getting a vampire matured seems like a ton when only needing 13 to win. Assuming that the vampire doesn't get revealed and defeated
Yup while playing it's not as easy as it sounds! Stake items are a pain in the neck. And hunters can decrease Drac influence, too.

Just wanted to tell you to beware, Vampire cards supersede the rulebooks and a matured vampire only adds 3 or 4 points, never 5. So the max increase is 4+3 (with rumor).

edit: ninja'd by Pudsy! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Oh I see. I'll try and find that thread, any other major errors to note?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
The main rules errors have been logged on this thread.

So that's worth a read. I don't think there are many big ones though.

There are some contradictions (between "Learn to Play" / "Rules Reference" / cards), and some rules that seem to be completely missing. Most have been mentioned in various other Rules threads.

Some of those have been resolved by deducing the only sensible interpretation. A number of them are still awaiting a ruling by FFG. So hopefully people will continue to add them to the above thread as they get replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: Strat-o-Matic Baseball fanMicrobadge: Wingspan fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: Level 09 BGG poster
Pudsy wrote:

It does seem to be the kind of game you could easily house-rule if balance became a problem and/or where one side is more experienced than the other.

eg. omit rumour tokens, some/all of power cards, etc.
Instead of omitted rumor tokens, perhaps nerf them: +2 or +1 instead of +3.

It should be possible to track how the game is progressing vs. more than one scoring system simultaneously. Perhaps a Dracula "minor" victory if he wins counting rumors as +3, major victory at +2, and complete victory at +1. At the point he satisfies the first condition, he could have to option to adjust the scoring and go for the second or third. (Dracula's Pride II).

Another way to go with keeping them at +3 would be to add an action: Newspaper Research. Any hunter in a large city to spend an action to visit a library and research rumors. The hunter could learn whether the rumor is in that region or not.

I like what rumors add to game tactics, and hope we can find a way to salvage them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Lucky Owner of a War of the Ring Anniversary EditionMicrobadge: I backed Western Legends on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Sleepy Hollow fan - Headless HorsemanMicrobadge: Lewis & Clark fanMicrobadge: Village fan
I tend to hold onto my Rumor tokens from the first week and then play 2 in the 2nd week. because I can bluff better with 2 then 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
randiv wrote:

Another way to go with keeping them at +3 would be to add an action: Newspaper Research. Any hunter in a large city to spend an action to visit a library and research rumors. The hunter could learn whether the rumor is in that region or not.
Quite similar to your proposal, I have house ruled rumor token this way:

- +2 influence when maturing a vampire
- Hunter gain the following day action:
house rule wrote:

Investigate rumor: You choose any rumor token in play. If you are in the same region as the rumor token, Dracula must reveal the location of this rumor token. If not, then Dracula must reveal the region in which the rumor token is located. You could only investigate rumor during the day and if you are located in a major city
It allows our group to keep playing with rumor token, even spicing them a little bit, while keeping the balance under control as far as I can tell (2 games so far, but with some other house rules)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls