Derek B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stricken Dumb gives you the choice of #1 adding a card from the burden deck into the encounter deck and reveal an additional encounter card
Or #2 raise the players threat by 3 and end the quest.
My question is if there are no longer any cards in the burden deck can I still choose option 1 or must I go with option 2 as I can meet both requirements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
Stricken Dumb: "When Revealed: You must either shuffle the top card of the burden deck into the encounter deck and reveal an additional encounter card, or raise each player's threat by 3 and immediately end the quest phase (do not resolve the quest)."

"If a card instead uses the structure "... must either X or Y..." then the player may choose which task to perform, although one of them must be performed in full, if able." -FAQ, section 1.44

If the burden deck is empty, then you cannot perform that option in full. Therefore, you must raise each player's threat by 3 and immediately end the quest phase, since this option can be performed in full.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Figo 3434
msg tools
And I guess this also means: If Stricken Dumb is revealed during the travel phase (due to traveling to The last bridge, revealing a burden card which then surges), you must choose to shuffle the top card of the burden deck into the encounter deck and reveal an additional encounter card, because you cannot end the quest phase.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls