Popular Tags: [View All]
Dori Dori
Poland
Krakow
malopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I am after couple of games with my wife and also with few friends.
I have noticed that it's almost impossible to get good military engine going and get upfront of trader strategy.

It might be me but I have tried to rush 2 rows end of game condition with some bandits but always traders were in front of me with they ships. If you wait to long it's just bigger and bigger advantage of trader strategy and it harder to catch up.

My wife loves this game from begging as she is all peace and loving but I am just pissed that I am not able to be a bad ass with my cool army.

What's your thoughts on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to give away tactics and strategies but I can assure you that going military is definitely not weaker than other strategies. In fact I had conversations with people claiming the opposite is true.

Let me just say this (spoiler for those who want to discover strategies and tactics on their own)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you want to succeed going military, focus on that. Don't try to fill two rows and end the game that way - that will take too much of your time (and resources). Focus on killing the Bandits instead. Only build new locations when you cannot gather enough army, and make sure that the new locations you build are ones that help you generate more army (one way or another), making sure to place them on the right places on your board to maximize their effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter has won with military so it's a strategy you can persue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dori Dori
Poland
Krakow
malopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely not giving up on that strategy and I would probably explore it until I get two consecutive wins. Which is fun in it's own way.

But regarding strategy

Spoiler (click to reveal)
With one 10 points ship they can simply catch up 3 rounds usually can do at beginning with weaker bandits until I get some good Regular Army on board to deal with those higher value. Middle game for me was always 8-9 points from bandits and at this same time 10 point for trader and often additional building. Traders advantage - easy to switch to building points when bad roll and ability to trigger game end with two rows condition much easier.

It will be fun to prove to myself that I am wrong with that as that's still quite early and I think game might have similar strategy learning curve as Imperial Settlers which I like very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Chondroulis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Trying to find time to play...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won using the military path on a 3 players game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls