Subject: Only Monsters in deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Board Game Producer
badge
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fan
We had a strange situation today during 4 players game.

It began with three Lords left nobody want to buy and each player had a bunch of Allies on their hands. No one wanted to buy a week Lord just to give three other players better Lords to buy and then again be left with poor choice - so everybody was stalking and getting Allies.

With couple turns passed there were no Allies left in deck - only Monsters. In consequence everyone could (and did) get 5-lvl monster award each his Exploration! It become weird.

Is there anything we missed in rules that protects from that kind situation? Or this is normal situation?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Aftermach:
After no more points were left chain was broken by one player who bought a Lord (he lost a game crushingly because of this), and we've just bought best Lord and leave him scraps again.

The final scores for two players were over 100 and for two other were at 60-70

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like any of the available lords you can pay a pearl to add a new lord from the deck as many times as there are open slots and you have pearls to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like people forgetting that this is a race. If you have that many allies in hand you should be able to quickly buy up lords and get ahead of the other people hoarding ally cards that don't help you at end game.

And yeah, why only 3 Lords in the court? did everyone already have 6 and several had been tossed due to politicians? In that case, the game should have already ended as running out of lords is an end game condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Board Game Producer
badge
Microbadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fan
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
If you don't like any of the available lords you can pay a pearl to add a new lord from the deck as many times as there are open slots and you have pearls to pay.
Thank you! That is exactly what we missed and what we should have used. We couldn't find it in rules, because we were looking for help mainly in Lord recrutating section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: I love Christmas!Microbadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Disney Classics collectorMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG poster
Ertai_PL wrote:
It began with three Lords left nobody want to buy and each player had a bunch of Allies on their hands. No one wanted to buy a week Lord just to give three other players better Lords to buy and then again be left with poor choice - so everybody was stalking and getting Allies.

With couple turns passed there were no Allies left in deck - only Monsters. In consequence everyone could (and did) get 5-lvl monster award each his Exploration! It become weird.
- How could there be only Monsters left in the deck? So ALL the ally cards were in players hands? When you buy a Lord you discard all the allies except one. The discarded cards get reshuffled when the ally deck runs out. After the exploration phase, unpicked allies go to the council stacks.

- You can spend Pearls to add more Lords from the pile, if there are no interesting Lords left. The game ends if there are no more Lords to add when the court needs to be refilled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Berger
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ertai_PL wrote:
It began with three Lords left nobody want to buy and each player had a bunch of Allies on their hands. No one wanted to buy a week Lord just to give three other players better Lords to buy and then again be left with poor choice - so everybody was stalking and getting Allies
I find this funny because this situation seems impossible in my group, when there are only 3 lords left, you can feel the tension arise since everybody's getting ready to buy a lord, any lord, just to get the extra two pearls laugh
Even a cheap lord is still worth it's share of points, the weakest of all lords (the Hunter) compensate by being cheap enough so that he won't dramatically lower your hand when you buy it, and it's usually unlikely the other players have enough cards to be able to buy just any single lord that might come out, unprepared and all, or at the price of a level 1 or 2 federation.

But I understand that in the situation you describe, everyone could just do that. It's weird you got there, but I can understand that once there, the situation can become locked.

Like someone else said here, it all depends on how the group usually plays, but hoarding lots of allies card is not something I see often ^^.
The race for the lords usually goes first, and when you still haven't enough pearls to be sure you'd get whatever you want when someone explores, getting one of the last 3 lords is an important asset of the game.
We even get sometimes stucked at 4 lords because players don't want to let another one get the opportunity to buy one of the last 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Board Game Producer
badge
Khonnor wrote:
- How could there be only Monsters left in the deck? So ALL the ally cards were in players hands? When you buy a Lord you discard all the allies except one. The discarded cards get reshuffled when the ally deck runs out. After the exploration phase, unpicked allies go to the council stacks.
Yes, it happened. Some allies were put in a front of players as scores (about 4-5 for each player), rest of them were on their hands. All council piles were picked also. Actually I don't understand your concern about this - because it is technically possible.
Tosheros wrote:
you can feel the tension arise since everybody's getting ready to buy a lord, any lord, just to get the extra two pearls laugh
It get together with fact that we all could afford most of Lord so the pearls had lower value than a good pick of Lord and also it was nearly the end of game (most players had 5 Lords already). Also two of players had quite a lot of Pearls and two other get them quickly (thanks to monsters).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Ertai_PL wrote:
Khonnor wrote:
Yes, it happened. Some allies were put in a front of players as scores (about 4-5 for each player), rest of them were on their hands. All council piles were picked also. Actually I don't understand your concern about this - because it is technically possible.
Tosheros wrote:
you can feel the tension arise since everybody's getting ready to buy a lord, any lord, just to get the extra two pearls laugh
It get together with fact that we all could afford most of Lord so the pearls had lower value than a good pick of Lord and also it was nearly the end of game (most players had 5 Lords already). Also two of players had quite a lot of Pearls and two other get them quickly (thanks to monsters).
sure it's possible, but now this makes even less sense to me. If people were at 5 Lords and had handfuls of allies, then someone should win 2 turns by just buying 2 lords and using their pearls to do so, so they can affiliate a higher ally. "waiting for a better lord" is never a good strategy in the end game (although you did say you missed the "plot at court" rule)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid Cichy
Poland
flag msg tools
Board Game Producer
badge
DragonsDream wrote:
If people were at 5 Lords and had handfuls of allies, then someone should win 2 turns by just buying 2 lords and using their pearls to do so, so they can affiliate a higher ally. "waiting for a better lord" is never a good strategy in the end game (although you did say you missed the "plot at court" rule)
Yes, one player could - but also, any other player after him could buy two Lords with higher value and possible keys (due to greater pile) and scoring more. Missing Plot at Court rule was crucial.

Also picking a good Lord better than any is additionally profitable when stalking for keys at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shay Rickman
Australia
Success
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen in a 4 player game last night using the Kraken expansion. The pools of support kept getting polluted with Kraken cards, so while there were plenty of allies to be had in those piles you would have got one or two krakens to go with them. I was hoping that there was some kind of rule to deal with it but it seems there is not.

A hand limit house rule might be necessary, even something high like 10 or 12 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls