Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm a relatively next WiF player. So I have a some questions about how to conquer France. How much air do I need? FTRs vs BMRS? Best positions for armor and mech/mot units. Should I take out low lands before M/J 1940?

Here's my situation http://imgur.com/xgrAKFV

- Sept/Oct 39
- Poland is about to fall (phase 5 weather 60% fine - weather roll 1 previously)
- No loses so far in Poland (should have +20 on Warsaw)
- France bring units back from colonies to mainland
- No BEF yet, but sure it will arrive
- Have not taken Denmark yet - planned for J/F 40
- Bessarabia was allowed to be acquired by Soviets
- Italy is neutral

Appreciate any help for this newbie on best and most efficient way to conquer France. Also, curious about conquering Greece with Italy/German in 1940? Would like to align Yugo.

Thanks All
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Watch where the British transports are. If you're positioned for an attack on the Netherlands (and you don't need much, since they only have a single 4 factor inf), and they've already flipped their transports, or otherwise have them at sea/out of range of the North Sea, then you can safely attack the Netherlands, and capture Rotterdam before the British can occupy it.

If you attack, and they're ready for it, they'll move 2 corps in to occupy the city before you can, and sit behind the river, making them difficult to dig out.

Otherwise, you should wait until MA40, when your Paratrooper arrives. Have your ATR on a city within range of Rotterdam, and put the paratrooper with it. Use that to capture Rotterdam on the surprise impulse attacking the Netherlands.

Holding Rotterdam will allow you to then attack Belgium on a follow up impulse, and block the Allies from occupying the Dyle River line (Brussels/Antwerp). From there, it's pretty much just flipping the stacks in clear terrain and blitzing them back to chew up the French army until it breaks, and you can surround and capture Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Andy's advice. In addition, you should have ALL of your air in the West. What else are you gonna do with it in early 1940? The only things in Poland and the east should be sufficient garrison to prevent the Soviets from breaking the Nazi-Soviet Pact (and if they are keeping back from the frontier, keeping a garrison will be easy).

Also, it is possible to crack Netherlands/Belgium/France without an offensive chit (or offensive points, depending what options you're using). But don't be afraid to use one if it can make the difference and crack the French front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great advice. What about trying to execute sub warfare?

How do I get my few subs past the allied ships in the North Sea? Many capital ships and CVs with Nav Air. When is a good time to try and sneak past? When the weather is bad? Should I be building 2-3 subs a turn or?

Seems like it might be very hard to get any sort of historical results sinking convoys? Especially when CW is picking up all these possible convoys from minors. I must have something wrong with my thinking about German subs and what they can do.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Subs can't be intercepted, so you just sail right past him.

That said, it's usually best to not risk losing your early subs. Get a few more out there, so that losses won't be as crippling. If you sail early and get hit when you have 1-2 subs, and keep losing them as fast as you build, you'll never do any significant damage to him.

That said, do be willing to take shots if he hasn't protected his convoy lines, especially in bad weather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a lot to add here.

My opinion here:

I do think it makes sense to use one or two offensive chits against France, the key for Germany is to move fast; that can be more important than avoiding losses. You want France knocked out by S/O 1940 so that you can be ready for a full Barbarossa in M/J 41 or be ready to invade England.

Also if you don't want to wait for the PARA you can take a risk and call a combined and sea invade Rotterdam. The risk here is that the CW intercepts the cruisers (I'm assuming you are using SCS invasions here and divisions) but this can be a good gamble to speed up the attack. If you get initiative there will often be few CW ships in the CW on the first impulse left over from last turn. The land moves on the combined are enough to take the Netherlands in one impulse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So what is the best way to use my offensive chits in France. He is going for what looks like a big France. With some weather luck in the M/A 1940 turn I should be able to take out Belgium and blitz to the French border.
I conquered the Dutch with no loses in J/F.

I'm thinking that having land action (offensive chit) for double combat strength for Rundstedt HQ range units is the best way to go in M/J 40, since his line is DEF 12-13 and 12 def factors of Brits in Calais. Then maybe if needed use another offensive chit to flip my HQs back? Not taking France by J/A is bad? My first real WiF games so sorry if my question very noobish.

Also, I hope to try and isolate some of his front line units to help the combat odds. That might be tough as France is getting a 6(2)-2 and 7-6 in M/A with a 6-6 mech in M/J soblue So I can expect a solid double line before I attack. How many hexes on Paris should I try and get before I attack it?

When I get German Airborne Corp in M/A where should I use it in France. Attack on Paris? It helps odds? Need to break it down before to divs for use with JU-52?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In 1940, Land Offensive is your best option. You can use it to smash a big gaping hole in his line. If you're using artillery, too, you can double the artillery (well, double dice, not factors, but quite useful) giving you a pretty good chance at flipping your target stack even before aircraft.

Your main goal is to just chew him up in the clear terrain, and take out as many French units as possible.

As far as attacking Paris, I'd say having the 3 non river hexes is good (though more is better).

Regarding the PARA:
-You don't have anything that you really need to use it on, though it can certainly help in taking Paris, or dropping in conjunction with an offensive chit - launching a 2 hex land attack plus the para onto the target hex can be pretty effective, especially if you intend to break through, since then you'd have an extra unit to guard the combat hex. However, it's perfectly reasonable to keep it in reserve and safe, though I recommend keeping it stacked with its ATR in order to threaten a paradrop, so your opponent is forced to take it into account.

You don't need to break it down (nor should you), as a single Ju-52 ATR can carry 1 para corps. A normal ATR can carry a full PARA or MTN Corps, it's only regular INF that require the Heavy ATRs to carry a full corps. (but definitely worth building the Para Div and another ATR, if not that and the 1941 PARA - they're very useful for attacking strongpoints like Gibraltar or Leningrad).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ara Bulbulian
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew,
Very sound advice. Makes great sense. I was trying to decide about a few great attacks on his front line or more attacks with lesser odds. Guess it just depends on how lucky I feel. Would like not to take too many risks with the German army against the French, but I don't think it wise to let the French survive past J/A 40?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, you want to take them down quickly, but not at the cost of attritting your army down.

Usually two attacks is the most I'd go for - one on whatever French hex is next to the British (because it's harder for them to counterattack at that point in the line), and then another further down, usually about two hexes away, so that you're attacking to try and isolate whatever hex/hexes are in the middle of the two attacked ones. If some of those are flipped, he'll be forced to abandon them or die in place defending them.

He only has enough corps to form a line that's so long, and if you push him back far enough, he'll have to abandon the Maginot, and then eventually he'll just run out of corps period, and be single-stacked at best. The key thing is to stay face up, and when you throw your offensive, you'll be able to flip back any land units that get turned face down (up to 8). If somehow you're lucky and no one flips, you can turn 2 planes up instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark me down for land o-chit also. If you play a land o-chit you are pretty much guaranteed to cut a whole in 2 places and the impact should snowball.

An air o-chit in a very long turn like July-august can be spectacular; if you play it especially on the first impulse and flip a bunch of French units for the turn, you can get to Paris is one turn it goes well.

But it is risky- you can play the air o-chit and just miss a bunch of rolls. You want to get the French HQ's especially. But if the French player plays correctly and has his HQ in forests, it is just plain risky. But keep the idea in mind if the french HQ's are in the open.

So you usually want the sure thing, so plan on using the land o-chit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. Generally speaking you usually don't have enough aircraft in mid 1940 to really make it worthwhile (I'd say you'd want at least 8 to 10 good bombers).

In Russia, maybe in 1942, it will be a much better proposition, as would a land-air where you can groundstrike the entire line and attack immediately, but in France 1940, you'll get the most out of a land ochit by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.