Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Neanderthal» Forums » Rules

Subject: The d6 "animal bite" icon on all the daughter cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I could find nothing in the rules that specifically addresses this, so I can only assume going by the general iconography that whenever a courtship roll is made, a d6 result kills the courting hunter...?

Is this right, and if it is, what exactly is this supposed to represent thematically? Does the daughter bite the guy to death if she does not find him hot enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
Microbadge: John Company fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: Pax Porfiriana fanMicrobadge: Thomas Pynchon fan
We always assumed it was the father...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: Intellivision fanMicrobadge: D&D fan (5th edition)Microbadge: Commodore 64 fanMicrobadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
That is correct. It is the father/husband or other tribe member protecting against the "courtship" (which is not always consensual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
Microbadge: Bios: Megafauna fanMicrobadge: Innovation fanMicrobadge: Core Worlds: Galactic Orders fanMicrobadge: Civilization fanMicrobadge: High Frontier fan - Your trip ends here!
I use a completeer different thematic explanation, one that does not try to explain a lifetime event within a turn which lasts 800 years.

To me, marriage represents prolonged contact between species. This may initially be limited to exchange of goods. At some point contact will intensify and exchange of technology ideas and behavior will occur. The pinacle of interracial contact in this game is exchange of people and interracial marriage and inevitably mating.

Phil uses daughters to represent novel technologies and behavior. So once the pinacle of interracial contact is reached (i.e. marriage) contact between the species has allowed exchange of ideas and behavior. This is represented by both the player of the daughter and the husband to use the special ability of the daughter.

So courtship is just an abstract to represent interracial contact. But interracial contact does not come easy. The difference between cultures represented in the game is much bigger than what we see today in the world. They will not easily trust eachother. Fighting will be inevitable. People who at some point manage to live with the other species will find themselves ousted when distrust takes over the advantages of trade. I.e. Hunters will be killed in attempting to create and mantain contact between species.

I think it is wonderful how a simple concept of marriage is used to represent something complicated as contact between species. I am not 100% sure if Phil had this in mind when he added the concept of marriage to the game of Greenland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls