9 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leveling and dying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garruk TheHunter
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG poster
2 questions :

1) So in order to get the last level, you need to roll 3 GD in one roll? That would make getting the last level near impossible no?

2) When an agent dies, beside leaving the game for the rest of the mission, does he loose level, abilities and such if you are playing campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garruk wrote:
1) So in order to get the last level, you need to roll 3 GD in one roll? That would make getting th last level near impossible no?
It's not impossible; just highly unlikely.

However, take heart! One of the late-game missions offers a free rank-up once you complete it, so as long as you get your agents up to the next-to-highest rank you'll be able to make it to the final rank by the last couple missions.

Garruk wrote:
2) When an agent dies, beside leaving the game for the rest of the mission, does he loose level, abilities and such if you are playing campaign?
Yes, the agent completely resets to Copper level discarding any tactics, skills, etc. that they have received. You will need to rank them up from scratch the next time you enlist them for a mission.

Which can be pretty brutal, particularly late in the campaign. One of my house rules is that agents are always allowed to rank up to one rank above the recommended starting rank for standalone missions (this allows agents who have died the chance to catch up within one or two missions by ranking up multiple times in one mission, rather than being doomed to be underpowered for the rest of the campaign if they died late in the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I get distracted ea - SQUIRREL!Microbadge: Rules readerMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: I sleeve everythingMicrobadge: I survived the Mayan apocalypse
Garruk wrote:
2 questions :

1) So in order to get the last level, you need to roll 3 GD in one roll? That would make getting the last level near impossible no?
There are 2 GD sides per die, with 3 dice, so the chance of rolling 3 of them (unless my math is way off) is 0.2 * 0.2 * 0.2 = 0.8%.

Yes, pretty close to useless. Those are not odds you can count on in the span of a campaign play-thru (or several of them, for that matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garruk wrote:
2 questions :

I seem to roll 3 GD with great regularity on attack rolls. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Garruk wrote:
2 questions :

There are 2 GD sides per die, with 3 dice, so the chance of rolling 3 of them (unless my math is way off) is 0.2 * 0.2 * 0.2 = 0.8%.

Yes, pretty close to useless. Those are not odds you can count on in the span of a campaign play-thru (or several of them, for that matter).
Do note that you get multiple chances during a single mission to try to get these. If you can kill an alien in 5 turns during a single mission, you get 6 chances in leveling up. That is about 5% chance.

While this is indeed not spectacular, it is something I see happening to some of the party members over a whole campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also there are some (promo?) devices that substantially increase your chances. They are still quite bad however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
Garruk wrote:
2 questions :

I seem to roll 3 GD with great regularity on attack rolls. angry
so true, so true... Last night my Marine was in a bad spot, surrounded by 3 aliens and engaged with an Arcahnos that would most definitely drag him into the other 3 aliens nearby. It had 3 damage, so one health left. I had a 4 Red dice attack. Roll : GD + GD + GD + Alien skull. Facepalm.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nuno Santos
Portugal
S. Domingos Rana
Cascais
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yep...been there. My powerful hulk attack:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nunesh wrote:
yep...been there. My powerful hulk attack:

That's the worst. Because you know next round when you need those GD results for leveling up they'll be nowhere to be found...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls