Subject: I just found this in a thrift shop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: "I work in a shoe store, I make less than minimum wage, and yet I'm not happy to be home."-AlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
And it seems to be the 112 card two deck set, but it seems to only have the black back deck, with none of the special cards. Will this hurt the game? Do I need both to play? If so, I'm not sure how to get the other cards unless I buy a new copy. Anyone else have this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: I support the Terriers!Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level IV - The journey of a thousand crits begins with a single roll...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
You only need one deck, but you do need the special cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Antiquity fanMicrobadge: I play both wargames and eurosMicrobadge: Age of Steam fanMicrobadge: Photo Hall of Fame memberMicrobadge: Sekigahara: Unification of Japan fan
The black deck does not have special cards, without them you cannot play Tichu but if the price is good you can have the cards to play other card games.

Bring/bargain that price down because it's not Tichu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was a Seattle Seahawks fan before it was cool.Microbadge: Boston Bruins fanMicrobadge: Boston Red Sox fanMicrobadge: "I work in a shoe store, I make less than minimum wage, and yet I'm not happy to be home."-AlMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Thank for the quick responses! I guess I need to find me some special cards then. What is the point of dual decks if the don't both have what you need to play? Is it just for combining for more players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Microbadge: MeepleCon attendeeMicrobadge: Die Macher fanMicrobadge: Nuclear War fanMicrobadge: SPI fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with Spouse
There was an old set that came with two "decks" of the normal cards but only one set of the four special cards. Is it that one?

Not sure what they were thinking when they released that shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Columbus Area Boardgaming Society
Originally that deck was included so you could play the version with 6 players, not so you could have two copies of the game. Once the publisher realized that virtually no one played 6er, and those that did could still just pull the 4 specials and play the deck was updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah it seems kinda boneheaded. Well, it sucks that I can't actually play Tichu, but it only cost me a dollar. I was looking forward to this one too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Columbus Area Boardgaming Society
It's just a regular deck of cards. So play regular games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
True. I will probably put it to good use in some Euchre games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
There are official variants for more than 4 players (widely agreed to be lame) that required two decks, but only one set of specials. The separate colors were to make it easy to separate when playing with 4. They never thought of any need to include 2 sets of specials... until legions of Tichu players wore out there decks and begged to have two sets of specials, making 2 complete 4-player decks, which is what we now have today. As it's now $10 in the US for 2 complete decks, I'm not sure there's really much need for worrying too much about getting a good deal on a single deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!
In the earlier editions of the game (maybe the first one?) you got two decks of cards. They have different colored backs.

Unfortunately, only one of the decks has the four special cards (Dog, Hemp Sparrow, Dragon, & Phoenix) needed for Tichu. The second deck is just a 52 card deck like regular cards except that the suits are the funky Tichu ones.

As long as you have one deck of 56 cards, you will be able to play the game. Use the other deck for other card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah the deck I have is missing the 4 special cards, so I will probably just get a new Tichu deck so I can play the game proper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I play with red!
Kreator82 wrote:
Yeah the deck I have is missing the 4 special cards, so I will probably just get a new Tichu deck so I can play the game proper.
Oh, that is sad. I thought that maybe you had one good/full deck and one regular/missing special deck.

Another method would be to make your own Tichu deck.

I have both the official one and a homemade one. I took a regular deck of cards and four jokers (same backs of course) and wrote the special card names (along with their primary abilities) on the jokers. It works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Unfortunately my OCD will not allow me to use a pasted together deck. That's also why I don't play print and play games. I want real components dagnabbit!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls