Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Durst
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this last week and have already played 3-4 games. I'm liking it so far since I really like the history theme and gameplay of setting up various action sets and combos.

However, I feel this game really needs more cards for each age. The game feels like it is over right about the time it begins.

Expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
Microbadge: Herculean Image UploaderMicrobadge: INVISIBLE CAT PLAYING INVISIBLE AGRICOLAZMicrobadge: Ultimate VGG Uploader - This user has 1000+ entries and is in the VGG Hall of Fame!Microbadge: Important announcement about BGG communication!Microbadge: Herculean Video Game Collector
Wario83 wrote:
I just got this last week and have already played 3-4 games. I'm liking it so far since I really like the history theme and gameplay of setting up various action sets and combos.

However, I feel this game really needs more cards for each age. The game feels like it is over right about the time it begins.

Expansion?
Maybe more ages could be cool too; Age IV and perhaps an Age V. My reasons:

The European monarchy (with a few exceptions), don't really die out until after The Great War, and I am sure thst there would be a good amount of people that could be useful from the early 20th Century; King Edward of England (who was a bit of an open-minded person, often seen at cat houses in Paris), Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany, who was quite an expansionist, wanting Germany to get into the beat in the (declining) colonisation, and setup several colonies in Africa. Perhaps a classic like Franz-Joseph of Austria-Hungary? The highly religious, but not so pupular, now saint (in Russia), Nikolaj ii (good for VPs maybe?), l am sure that we can also find some strong women, Nikolai's mother perhaps? Maria Fjordenova (sorry for my spelling; I mostly know her under her given name Dagmar), who had two orthodox churches build; one in Copenhagen (together with her husband Aleksander III), and one in Saint Petersburg (in memory of her husband who died of his wounds after an assassination attempt where the church is now build). Of cause we can not forget Queen Victoria (could be an Age IV, if an Age V was an option). Christian IX of Denmark could also be interesting; after loosing the Second Schleswig War in 1864 to Prussia, Denmark was crippled and poor, but he had many children where many were married in European royal houses (Queen Alexandra of England, the previously mentioned Dagmar/Maria Fjordenova of Russia, George I og Greece Thyra of Hannover), as well as Frederik VIII of Denmark, Prince Valdemar (who was elected to take the Bulgarian throne, but refused - married to Princess Marie of Orleans).

I am certain that if I get some time to dig into the houses, i am sure that I can find some interesting characters and fitting traits - maybe it would (or should?) be possible to expand/exchange some of the territories, but I am not sure what it should be, as I do not recall any interesting locations which could give gold or pierity value.

Just an idea, but I think it could be interesting ending the bloodlines as the European empires ends (Sure, France ends with Bonaparte, but the German houses (including United Germany), Russia, Austria-Hungary, and most others, ends around and after WWI, and I think it could be a fitting end of the game.

More cards could also work out; I am certain that more interesting personalities could be found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tebo
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this again today, with 4, and really like it a lot, but I feel like it is right on the border of being too long. For me it is the perfect length right now for the weight of the game, it could be a little shorter even. I had one person in the group complaining that it was too long for the complexity of the game. But more new nobles would be cool, even going to more modern times. Maybe there could be more nobles but a limited number in each age, that way every game would be different. I would be hesitant to make changes that slow down gameplay though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I agree that the game doesn't need to be longer. However, I'm not sure if adding nobles and using only a select number of them is a good solution.

Getting more nobles per age, and using only a limited number of them, would wreck the balance if you don't select carefully. I believe that now there is an equal number of nobles of each colour in each age, and an equal number of male and female nobles. If there were more nobles, you either have to select carefully which nobles to keep out of the game (which increases set-up time) or you get imbalances.

Perhaps something else could be tried to create variance in the game. The countries, perhaps? Add more countries to the game, with new characteristics, and randomly place nine of them on the table at the start.
I have no idea what new characteristic such countries could have, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael West
Lithuania
Vilnius r.
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the countries need more weight. It seems silly that you gain more prestige from many of the noble cards themselves than most of the countries. The warfare aspect seems a bit stilted because the rewards just are not significant enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls