Hide
9 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Third/Fourth Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Power rule questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Terrell
msg tools
To play a power do you have to play a location? Or can I play something like feed on and not move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trheel wrote:
To play a power do you have to play a location? Or can I play something like feed on and not move?
To play Feed or Dark Call, you play no location and stay where you are.

It is the same with Hide, but it will look like you played a location.

Wolf Form must be played with a location (or Hide)

Misdirect replaces a location elsewhere in the trail, prior to playing a card at the start of the trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Terrell
msg tools
So I could go to sea not move and feed, then dark call and not move again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trheel wrote:
So I could go to sea not move and feed, then dark call and not move again.
No you must move at sea, you are not allowed to play power cards except for Misdirect (or Wolf Form when your first move must be to land)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
DaveD wrote:
Wolf Form must be played with a location (or Hide)
If played with Hide, would that constitute an expensive bluff? It seems so from my brief reading of the LTP rules, but I'm just checking. (I've just ordered the game ). Presumably power cards are played on location cards and you don't get them back until they fall off the end of the trail?

EDIT: I've just confirmed the last part by checking the Rules Reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agri Fan
msg tools
Moose Malloy wrote:
If played with Hide, would that constitute an expensive bluff?
In a word, yes. I'd argue the blood loss isn't the expensive part though, it's using two of your precious powers at once and not getting anything extra for it. I haven't played 3rd ed yet but in 2nd ed I gradually came to the opinion that wolf-form hide was a useless gimmick that was usually punished pretty quickly by the hunters. It may be different in 3rd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf form and Hide in 3rd edition

Wolf Form is good.

Hide played when you need it is punishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Agrifan wrote:
In a word, yes. I'd argue the blood loss isn't the expensive part though, it's using two of your precious powers at once and not getting anything extra for it.
Oh, I wasn't even thinking about blood loss. By "expensive" I meant throwing away what seems to be a very valuable double-move ability that might get you out of tight corners, as a bluff to stay exactly where you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Taylor
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
It absolutely worked for me in the game I played last night (my first).

I had spiraled around in Spain and had just jumped onto a boat when the hunters came into the region and found my trail.

Thinking I was being clever, I went from the Med to the South Atlantic and returned to Spain just as some of the Spanish locations began to slide off the trail. The Hunters almost fell for it, but before the went rushing East, they decided to check the one place I could be if I had tried to slip back behind them.

Now cornered, with only no way to get back out to sea, I pulled a Wolf+Hide.

It worked. There was only one city I could have run to that wasn't on the trail or covered by a hunter... But when they checked, I wasn't there. Well, maybe, the hunters thought, they'd missed somethin I was able to make it over HERE. Nope. Now confused, they started to pack up and head East but I threw roadblocks up to box them in Spain.

Then, I was able to slip around to cities they weren't occupying until I could scamper through the roadblock, get caught by the one Hunter who had managed to get into France, and cut my trail with an Escape as a Bat during that fight.

It was a tense two or three rounds.

I know the trick wouldn't work on experienced hunters, but it worked so thoroughly this time that I was worried that I'd accidentally cheated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls