Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike N.
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player has a 50 wisdom does that mean that all monsters (including #'s 49 and 50, of course) are terrified by the player?

What I mean is this: A player with 50 has the maximum wisdom - it can't go any higher. So even if he fights the Prince, 50 + 4 (in a 3 player game) will still result in a wisdom of 50.

Do you fight these monsters as if the player's wisdom could potentially go above 50 and therefore roll the dice AND add the extra hearts? Or is every monster (even the 50) "terrified"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
POvidiusNaso wrote:
When a player has a 50 wisdom does that mean that all monsters (including #'s 49 and 50, of course) are terrified by the player?

What I mean is this: A player with 50 has the maximum wisdom - it can't go any higher. So even if he fights the Prince, 50 + 4 (in a 3 player game) will still result in a wisdom of 50.

Do you fight these monsters as if the player's wisdom could potentially go above 50 and therefore roll the dice AND add the extra hearts? Or is every monster (even the 50) "terrified"?

That's a great question, and I'm not sure about the answer. I've played that we're still rolling dice when we hit 50 wisdom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I remember correct you roll the dice. Otherwise there is no need to keep a decent stock of power chips...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
White Bear Township
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that is a good question, but I can't imagine that the toughest monsters in the game would ever be too scared to fight. In this case they would actually get scared more easily than lower strength monsters, who are never afraid of a hero with wisdom equalling their strength, which creates a rule inconsistancy with monster #50. So I would say that you would fight the monsters as if Wisdom could actually go above 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can't go by the regular rules for dying of fright because the wisdom cap at 50 is a special case with an artificial limit. I would say, of course you have to battle it normally, or there wouldn't be an endgame to speak of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike N.
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the consensus - which seems correct, and has more appeal - is that the high monsters get die rolls, as if one could potential improve to 51 or higher.

Thanks to all who put in a couple cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
POvidiusNaso wrote:
I think the consensus - which seems correct, and has more appeal - is that the high monsters get die rolls, as if one could potential improve to 51 or higher.

Thanks to all who put in a couple cents.

This consensus is correct. The idea of the Wisdom barrier at "50" is, that the brains of the player characters have a natural limit and cannot get more wisdom at that stage. This means that they MUST fight the final monsters and can only use their spells as an advantage.

Have fun!

Henning Kröpke
(for 2F-Spiele)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.