Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a lot of Book recommendations threads about ACW,one today but lets see if someone can point out something of this topic.

I run a small podcast about boardgames and historical context (sadly in Spanish) and one listener was kind enough to give me a copy of GMT´s RAN and im starting the process of gathering information to make a program.

Anyone knows a good book about the period? Above all im looking for something less academic and more enjoyable to read. In the past I have read some things about the topic, and specific battles but in general the period is so convoluted that its hard to grasp a good idea about the general course of the era and the main ideas behind it.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rusch
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
1993 - 2003
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good historical novel of mid 16th century Japan is Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa (see Goodreads for details). This story starts a bit earlier than the scenarios identified in the game RAN and ends just as the scenarios start early 1580s. Warning - this is a long book, but if you choose to accept the challenge will give you an enjoyable way to understand the underpinnings of the historical context of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read much in a while, but Stephen Turnbull has several general works in the period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While neither a book nor very accurate this video series focuses somewhat on the individuals and precursor to Sekigahara.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEb6sGT7oD8F1Dc5DFOsz8...

You might find it interesting and could help shed light on aspects you would want to inspect more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Every piece of information helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pau Pitarch Fernández
Japan
Setagaya
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendation for Stephen Turnbull's titles published by Osprey.

celacanto wrote:
I run a small podcast about boardgames and historical context (sadly in Spanish)
Would you care to share the name of your podcast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willdeworde wrote:
I second the recommendation for Stephen Turnbull's titles published by Osprey.

celacanto wrote:
I run a small podcast about boardgames and historical context (sadly in Spanish)
Would you care to share the name of your podcast?
Sure you can found it here

http://eltableropodcast.blogspot.com.es/

It will sound a bit unusual because not all the podcast its mine. I started as a collaborator in that postcast from another person, but eventually my section became longer and longer and now normally occupies 3/4 of the show.

Also after a few years on it I discovered that many people listened me just for the Historical audios, and they dont care about the boardgame parts, so eventually I created an archive for the historical parts only

http://notahistorica.blogspot.com.es/

As always any feedback will be appreciated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls