Hide
4 Posts

Lincoln's War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Major Army Crossing a River rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jazer jay
msg tools
I have the Osprey rules and I cannot comprehend the major army crossing the river rule 12.3.1-it seems to contradict itslef. A major army can cross a river if it begins it's activation immediately adjacent to a river and ends its activation on the other side, then states it must disperse into minor armies on the other side??? so can it it move across a river as a major army? or is this line referring to the Miss.? Which it also states that cannot be done twice in the same paragraph. Secondly, if the major is required to disperse into 2 minors, what if there are not 2 hexes available on the other side of the river? does that mean the major army cannot cross? Ugh....sorry if this is confusing. I really want to enjoy this game but some of the rules are killing me. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
jazer wrote:
I have the Osprey rules and I cannot comprehend the major army crossing the river rule 12.3.1-it seems to contradict itslef. A major army can cross a river if it begins it's activation immediately adjacent to a river and ends its activation on the other side, then states it must disperse into minor armies on the other side??? so can it it move across a river as a major army? or is this line referring to the Miss.? Which it also states that cannot be done twice in the same paragraph. Secondly, if the major is required to disperse into 2 minors, what if there are not 2 hexes available on the other side of the river? does that mean the major army cannot cross? Ugh....sorry if this is confusing. I really want to enjoy this game but some of the rules are killing me. Thanks
Hello Jay.
Do the rules you have say this?

(12.3.1) MAJOR ARMY MOVING ACROSS A RIVER
A major army can cross a river other than the Mississippi if it starts its activation immediately adjacent to the river and uses its entire activation to cross. It cannot then attack another hex however it can defend normally. A Major Army may not move across the Mississippi River. It must disperse into Minor Armies to do so and may not rejoin on the same card phase. It may rejoin on the next card phase if desired.
(12.3.2) MAJOR ARMY ATTACKING ACROSS A RIVER
A major army can attack across a river if it starts its activation immediately adjacent to the river and does not move before combat. If victorious, it may advance into the vacated hex. It may not attack across the Mississippi.

As mentioned, there are different rules that apply to the Mississippi. Dispersing into Minor Armies only applies if it wants to cross the Mississippi. If there are not 2 hexes available on the other side of the Miss then it can only cross with a single Minor Army. Let me know if this answers your question or if what I just posted is not the same as the rules you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Jazer. You sort of interpreted it correctly. A major army must be adjacent to a river to cross over then must use its entire movement to do so and may not attack after crossing. A Major army may not cross over the Mississippi even if it is adjacent to the river. If two hexes are not available to it only a single minor army OUT OF that major army may cross.

Thanks for your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jazer jay
msg tools
Got it. I appreciate the quick responses, too. Might I add, I find it truly amazing and classy for the game designers to be supporting their product like this! Thanks a lot!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls