9 Posts

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Save Some Space and Get More Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
I live in Hong Kong, so we have very limited space to store board games. Usually I will try to avoid getting game that come with an unnecessary large box but sometimes I don't want to miss a good game for that stupid reason. So, here is my solution

------------------------------------
Using the expansion box instead of the base game box is the easiest way to save some space.

Another method is to cut the box and use tape to cover the edges. This is a painful method for me. Before using method, I just put two different games in the same box but I felt like each game should have it own box. It took a lot of effort to do it but the result is not as bad as I thought.

If you have limited space like me, I wish this will be helpful for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Carlson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Not bad tips There's some logic to your suggestions and they are practical. However, I don't know how many games could fit the base game contents and expansion contents into an expansion box. Also, regarding your second suggestion, the problem is that, for some (including myself), cutting a game box is sacrilege!

So yes, I like your first suggestion (where feasible) but the second one is a no-no for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to highlight some great games that also fit everything in the smaller expansion boxes:

Kingsburg
Ginkgopolis
Cyclades (I managed to get both Hades and Titans along with the base game in the Titans box)
Lords of Waterdeep
Kingdom Builder (Again, base, Nomads, and Crossroads all in Crossroads box.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I just want to highlight some great games that also fit everything in the smaller expansion boxes:

Kingsburg
Ginkgopolis
Cyclades (I managed to get both Hades and Titans along with the base game in the Titans box)
Lords of Waterdeep
And ghost stories, Istanbul, and escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
tehnoodnub wrote:
Not bad tips There's some logic to your suggestions and they are practical. However, I don't know how many games could fit the base game contents and expansion contents into an expansion box. Also, regarding your second suggestion, the problem is that, for some (including myself), cutting a game box is sacrilege!

So yes, I like your first suggestion (where feasible) but the second one is a no-no for me!
I can understand that. It was also very painful for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laiyuenyee wrote:
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

Kingsburg
Ginkgopolis
Lords of Waterdeep
And ghost stories, Istanbul, and escape.
+ Thurn and Taxis and most of Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice ideas, but what will you do if, for example, you cut a box down that accommodates a base set & an expansion (such as Legacy)... and then later another expansion comes out!

You won't have any room in your cut-down box but could have done if you had left it alone ! Won't you forever be kicking yourself?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tribune: Primus Inter Pares and its expansion fit into the expansion box, which is only half the height of the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
tonksey wrote:
Some nice ideas, but what will you do if, for example, you cut a box down that accommodates a base set & an expansion (such as Legacy)... and then later another expansion comes out!

You won't have any room in your cut-down box but could have done if you had left it alone ! Won't you forever be kicking yourself?!

I won't cut the box if I know there are many expansions coming out. For Legacy, even it has an expansion coming, it only add 100 cards. So, it won't be a problem to put it into a cut-down box. If they really have large expansion coming out, then I will really slap my face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls