APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
mb
Just a quick reply with a link to you where you can reference all the units and to say yes the expansions are worth it and add a lot of options and variety (and fun!) without much added complexity.

Full unit reference is posted in this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1419064/complete-unit-card-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game.

I don't have the reinforcements yet but from what I know they add variety, more scenarios, and some new mechanics. These new mechanics aren't hard to learn but like you said they add variety.

I have demoed the undead army and they are a solid addition to the game.

I have the mountain giant neutral unit. While I like the scenario it comes with and the Mountain Giants abilities, I feel it is still pricey for what you get. I would get the base game plus the warband/hernfar army packs.

If you like Heroscape you might want to check out Arena of the Planeswalker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my 5-year old. As he cant read we play without lore completely and without the text heavy command cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Brian's suggestion is a good one: prepare a simplified command deck and ignore lore cards.

Reduce the number of available units. I would start with infantry and progressively introduce new units when the kid becomes curious. You can link the introduction of new units to a story or conditional to a victory... that you will timely provide.

You can also think about reducing the burden of the management of the hand of cards.

1) In the first few games, just flip a card in turn and play it. The kid is going to ask dad about the best moves and in this way he learns the game

2) then deal 1 card at the beginning and flip-and-play with the option of swapping the card in your hand with the one just flipped. In this way you can keep track of your kid's cards and provide appropriate suggestions.

I would introduces lore not with lore cards but with a simple list of extra "stunts" one can use lore for, like ordering 1 more unit (cost 2 lore) moving one extra hex (1 lore) or attack with 1 exra die (1 lore) ecc...

I'm working on a campaign (series of scenarios) for kids right now but the project is still at an early stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
I'm working on a campaign (series of scenarios) for kids right now but the project is still at an early stage.
Great to hear that! I am planning for my first game with my son (5 years) next week. I was also thinking to skip the Lore cards, but will instead hand out 3 simple Lore cards to him at the beginning, so he starts to see what he can do with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls