Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly confused by Defeat.
Does that mean that the game is over, all players lose, and VPs are not counted?
Or does it simply mean that the game is over, VPs are counted normally, but nobody is eligible for either of the two 5 VP special bonuses?

I think the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
micromartians.com
badge
Expand
Microbadge: Are the cones a metaphor? Well, yes and no.Microbadge: I love rainy daysMicrobadge: Roguelike fanMicrobadge: Slay the Spire fanMicrobadge: I play with purple!
You are right. VPs are counted and the player with the most wins... It's just kind of sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
[Does Defeat] mean the game is over, VPs are counted normally, but nobody is eligible for either of the two 5 VP special bonuses?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Mantuanwar wrote:
[Does Defeat] mean the game is over, VPs are counted normally, but nobody is eligible for either of the two 5 VP special bonuses?
Yes.
But lingering feel of winner being de facto second place remains...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Think of it as you've won the right to lead the underground rebellion to free your conquered empires...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
Microbadge: I aspire to Curmudgeon Level EricMicrobadge: I love Canada!Microbadge: In MemoriamMicrobadge: I love Mexico!Microbadge: I support the Women and Gaming community
It's oddly enough similar to what happens when the Axis wins in Churchill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Evans
United States
Beaver
PA
flag msg tools

Haha, I'm not usually one for "house rules" but I might have to alter my stance here, that if this happens every player is destroyed and a big fat loser. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sammykhalifa wrote:

Haha, I'm not usually one for "house rules" but I might have to alter my stance here, that if this happens every player is destroyed and a big fat loser.
Or possibly a tiny cloud of atoms, having been nuked / lasered from orbit. Then again, the Xenos might let you live, since you're obviously not a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Think of it as you've won the right to lead the underground rebellion to free your conquered empires...
This sounds like a potential expansion. Either continuing arc 3 or starting arc 4. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or one of the two unknown RFTG products, at least one of which is a stand alone game... Feel free to add wild speculation to that thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Or that you now hold the exalted position of Quisling-in-Chief...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, from Russian history, in the position of Muscovy acting as the henchman of the Mongols...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Is that the next expansion?!

Edit: Aww, others beat me to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
A described XI to a friend of mine and he dubbed it Race for the Galaxy: Churchill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Alternately: "I for one welcome our new insect Xeno overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Mursko Središće
Međimurje
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it viable strategy to sabotage the defense if you see you have lots of VP chips and/or VP's on developments, and you have few 0-1 VP planets to sacrifice?
Has anyone managed to win this was?
Has this happened while playtesting?

I know it's traitory/cylony strategy to try, but I am curious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you sabotage the defense, it's unlikely to matter in a multiplayer game where someone is bound to be able to defeat the Xenos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mado78 wrote:
Is it viable strategy to sabotage the defense [by ducking an attack by not spending for temporary military]
Almost never. It was tried during testing, but without the 5 VP bonuses it is extremely difficult to pull off a victory when doing this.

(With these bonuses, it could be done in various cases, which simply confirmed my decision to disallow them in Xeno defeats.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mado78 wrote:
Is it viable strategy to sabotage the defense if you see you have lots of VP chips and/or VP's on developments, and you have few 0-1 VP planets to sacrifice?
Has anyone managed to win this was?
Has this happened while playtesting?

I know it's traitory/cylony strategy to try, but I am curious :)
It happens infrequently, but the better we get at Invasion the more viable it is becoming. If you can make the game end by failing along with the others, and win in the process, it would be foolish not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamedog wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
A described XI to a friend of mine and he dubbed it Race for the Galaxy: Churchill
There's a bit of irony here -- When Winston Churchill won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953, most commentators thought it was because of his six-volume series about the second world war, in which the title of volume 1 was "The Gathering Storm".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
FYI: I chose the name The Gathering Storm for the first RFTG expansion partially as a homage to Churchill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls