14 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Operation Chronicle: Woodlark Island Operation Card #28 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Actiavte: Any HQ. Logistic Value: 3 Bonus: If ground units are landed on an unoccupied one hex island, prior to ANY reaction place an Allied control marker on all adjacent unoccupied one hex islands.

My understanding is that all adjacent unoccupied one hex islands become Allied control before any reaction. How about the one hex island AA by the ground units? Should that island still be Japanese controlled and subject to SR if it is within Japanese AOI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vignuzzi
Canada
Burritts Rapids
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - the bonus applies to all surrounding islands. The island being invaded still undergoes the normal sequence of play (SR, intel, reaction, combat, combat results - as applicable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Poso
msg tools
Sorry for the necro, but I thought it better to keep all discussion on this card in one place...

How quickly does the ownership of adjacent hexes change, i.e. can the Allied player immediately use any captured air bases / ports for (strategic) movement, or will the change happen just before the reaction move?

What happens if the Japanese player plays a weather card in response to this? From reading the cards, the adjacent hexes change ownership, then every unit is placed back where it started, but that sounds a bit... weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heikkip wrote:
Sorry for the necro, but I thought it better to keep all discussion on this card in one place...

How quickly does the ownership of adjacent hexes change, i.e. can the Allied player immediately use any captured air bases / ports for (strategic) movement, or will the change happen just before the reaction move?

What happens if the Japanese player plays a weather card in response to this? From reading the cards, the adjacent hexes change ownership, then every unit is placed back where it started, but that sounds a bit... weird.
Do you have the second edition cards? If not it states:

"Bonus: If ground units are landed on an unoccupied one hex island, prior to ANY reaction - place an Allied control marker on all adjacent unoccupied one hex island."

So all of the questions are moot as they are various forms of reaction. Island control is immediate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Poso
msg tools
MarkHerman wrote:
So all of the questions are moot as they are various forms of reaction. Island control is immediate.
I don't think the first question is about a reaction? Game example: US marine lands on unoccupied Yap (3515). Adjacent Palau Island port is also empty, so it will get an Allied control marker. Can the Allied player, during the same operation, use strategic movement to land units in Palau Island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heikkip wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
I don't think the first question is about a reaction? Game example: US marine lands on unoccupied Yap (3515). Adjacent Palau Island port is also empty, so it will get an Allied control marker. Can the Allied player, during the same operation, use strategic movement to land units in Palau Island?
As I stated this is a moot question. If you follow the sequence of play in the rules with no shortcuts this can never occur. All movement is completed and then before ANY reaction, the islands change sides.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If weather aborts the offensive after the "adjacent" islands are controlled, what about the AA hex itself since it gains control if not forced to retreat just prior to PBM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Poso
msg tools
MarkHerman wrote:
All movement is completed and then before ANY reaction, the islands change sides.
Ok, thanks, that makes it crystal clear.

Hmm, so if an unoccupied one-hex island and another next to it are assaulted, there's nothing the Japanese can do - no special reaction possible. This opens possibilities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
If weather aborts the offensive after the "adjacent" islands are controlled, what about the AA hex itself since it gains control if not forced to retreat just prior to PBM?
Should the card say:

"3 Bonus: If ground units are landed on an unoccupied one hex island, prior to ANY reaction place an Allied control marker on IT AND all adjacent unoccupied one hex islands."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
ncree wrote:
Should the card say:

"3 Bonus: If ground units are landed on an unoccupied one hex island, prior to ANY reaction place an Allied control marker on IT AND all adjacent unoccupied one hex islands."
This is not correct and why the card does not say this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with later weather card played the AA hex doesn't change control? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify this for myself - the adjacent hex(es) still change control, even if the weather card sent all of the units back, and the target hex did not change control?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petrip wrote:
Just to clarify this for myself - the adjacent hex(es) still change control, even if the weather card sent all of the units back, and the target hex did not change control?
Yes, that is what the card says. Card text only alters the specific change to the rules and no more, so if you subsequently play a Weather card, other parts of the operation are cancelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don King
United States
Apple Valley
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Phoenix Command RPG fanMicrobadge: Miniatures wargaming fan - AncientMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
An evil twist to the application of this event.
The Allies control Buin (4222), then move all Allied forces off the island, leaving it vacant. Then a different Allied unit moves to the unoccupied island, as part of the same operation. The Bonus is still triggered, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls