7 Posts

The Gallerist» Forums » General

Subject: How does it compare to CO2? (semi-coop apart) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG poster
The only game by Vital Lacerda we know is CO2. We have played it 5 times, all of them 2-players (most of our games are 2p). We like CO2 a lot and, even thou The Gallerist doesnt have the semi-coop aspect CO2 does, we'd like to know what similarities do you think they have (if possible from a 2-player game perspective)
Thanks very much!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Lovell
United States
Edgewood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Vital Lacerda fanMicrobadge: Seahawks fan: Eye on Another Ring
Robot74 wrote:
The only game by Vital Lacerda we know is CO2. We have played it 5 times, all of them 2-players (most of our games are 2p). We like CO2 a lot and, even thou The Gallerist doesnt have the semi-coop aspect CO2 does, we'd like to know what similarities do you think they have (if possible from a 2-player game perspective)
Thanks very much!!!
Well IMO CO2 is the most different of Vital's games. Strategically, Thr Gallerist is about maximizing the amount of times you get bonus actions, knowing when is the optimal time to sell works vs keeping them, and taking advantage of the myriad bonuses available from every action on the board.

CO2 is more about balance, and figuring out how to best help yourself while seeing to the needs of the different regions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: slickerdrips fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
I don't think there are any real similarities between the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mustafa
Indonesia
Tangerang Selatan
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: I love Stefan Feld!Microbadge: Descent 2nd Edition fanMicrobadge: I've played games in Indonesia
in my opinion, the only similarities is a lot of bonus during the game in those two..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I am a GSGer!Microbadge: I attended Lobster Trap!Microbadge: Parent of big sister and little brotherMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: I support Portugal!
CO2 is my favorite of his designs thus far. Hoping to see what The Gallerist brings to the table. Pun totally intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: On Mars fanMicrobadge: I love Vlaada Chvátil!Microbadge: Escape Plan fan
I don't see many similarities between the two.

In the gallerist you can always take an action (you can't repeat the same action you had the previous turn), as it's not a worker placement game: you can take an occupied action normally, but the kicked-out opponent will get a "kicked-out" action, that can be minor (at no cost) or on par with the standard action (at a cost).

In CO2 sometimes you aren't able to take the action you need as the board state doesn't offer the action (e.g. you might need to propose a project to get money, but the only spaces available are in continents with few CPs).

One similarity is the middle-term period in which you're waiting for a conference to finish (CO2), and the period in which an assistant is unavailable because he's on a contract card. In both cases in a few turns you might get the scientist/assistant back, but it's more a random similarity than an intended one.

Note that in the Gallerist you have a maximum of 4 available assistant, with a max total of 12 available, instead in CO2 there's no limit to the scientist you can have at the same time (max 6).

Another similarity is that you can discover an artist (and get an advantage if you do), but then other players can "benefit" from that artist as well, but this is not as strong as in CO2, where a project proposed by you can be implemented by another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Galaxy Trucker fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: On Mars fanMicrobadge: I love Vlaada Chvátil!Microbadge: Escape Plan fan
Another element that might remind CO2 is the co-op aspect

If two players buy work of arts from the same artist they both have interest in raising his fame (and eventually making him a celebirty). This is the same sort of incentive to send a scientist to a conference, as both players will benefit from it (except that in CO2 you can send 2 of your own scientist to the same conference).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls