Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Wanting to get into Myth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As per the subject line, I'm thinking about picking up Myth. After holding out after the initial release, I think this game is in a better spot that I would be willing to spend some cash on.

Since I missed out on the journeyman kickstarter, should I wait until they release a second edition with the updated materials? Or is there another option?

Please note that I just don't like the idea of printing out new cards to replace what's in the current game (unless this can be easily done & cost effective). Or, is the errata relatively minor that I can still enjoy the current first edition materials (with updated rulebook)?

Also note that I have read-through the forums and "I'm new to Myth....what should I do?" posts, but I still have some reservations.

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
Microbadge: I love CanadaMicrobadge: 1 Player Hall of FameMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One Boy
I'd definitely wait for the 2.0 Release. If you've played someone else's copy and you know you love it, then possibly look to take over someone's Journeyman pledge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
My standard response to people thinking about getting into the game is to buy a cheap second hand retail copy and play it a few times to see if they like the game. You can always then sell it again and you won't have lost much.

I personally love the game, although it isn't by any stretch perfect. Beautiful art and minis, rich, challenging mechanics, great potential for story-telling. The original KS and the retail box were a bit of a mess, but the kinks are being ironed out over time.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
ap49 wrote:
Since I missed out on the journeyman kickstarter, should I wait until they release a second edition with the updated materials? Or is there another option?
Here's the rub ... no one knows when a second edition will be produced. When Brian did his RECON video a couple weeks ago showing their warehouse, he showed how much Myth 1.0 was still left in inventory. They have to chew through that before they'll order a second printing. IF they decide to invest in a second printing.

If you purchase Myth from the MegaCon webstore, it will come with the 2.0 materials. Note, this is just for the base game of Myth, but it does come with the updated materials.

Here's a geeklist that will help you understand what to replace if you order from MegaCon.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Darby_ wrote:
My standard response to people thinking about getting into the game is to buy a cheap second hand retail copy and play it a few times to see if they like the game. You can always then sell it again and you won't have lost much.
This is also a solid option, but I'll add my opinion here - do not try and play with the 1.0 materials.

Go to the geeklist above and download the 2.0 materials. I strongly suggest following what I've outlined to avoid getting bogged down in all that's wrong with Myth 1.0.

2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Darby_ wrote:
My standard response to people thinking about getting into the game is to buy a cheap second hand retail copy and play it a few times to see if they like the game. You can always then sell it again and you won't have lost much.
This is also a solid option, but I'll add my opinion here - do not try and play with the 1.0 materials.

Go to the geeklist above and download the 2.0 materials. I strongly suggest following what I've outlined to avoid getting bogged down in all that's wrong with Myth 1.0.

If you didn't want to print your own, cut&sleeve; there was a PrinterStudio link floating around the BGG Myth forum that took most of the grunt work out of getting the 2.0 materials professionally printed. I have been very happy with my 1.1/1.3 PrinterStudio cards. I chose to use PS because I looked at the cost of color ink and sleeves and the amount of time it would take to cut out & sleeve all the cards, and decided $30 to $35 for a complete set of Myth cards was well worth it.
If you pick up the base game for a steep enough discount (I've seen $35 repeatedly) and print from PS, you're in under the retail price you'd pay from MCG for a 1.0 box + 2.0 materials; and you can toss in some of the community content for no extra charge. You still might want to print the 2.0 manual (electronic's easier for me but YMMV).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the impression that if you ordered the core game from MCG they would include the 2.0 materials. Not sure when they begin implementing that process. At the very least you could download the 2.0 cards and rulebook and print them out so you could play the base game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Brian T wrote:
I had the impression that if you ordered the core game from MCG they would include the 2.0 materials. Not sure when they begin implementing that process. At the very least you could download the 2.0 cards and rulebook and print them out so you could play the base game.
Right - that's the case as was stated earlier. I have spoken directly with Nikki and she told me all base game orders from their webstore come with 2.0 content.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware there was a PrinterStudio link to the 2.0 cards. Not a bad option.

I've been playing with the 2.0 rules and the 1.0 cards and I've enjoyed it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Darby_ wrote:
I wasn't aware there was a PrinterStudio link to the 2.0 cards. Not a bad option.

I've been playing with the 2.0 rules and the 1.0 cards and I've enjoyed it.
Here's a thread I started back in July. It links to all hero decks for 2.0 content.

To my knowledge, there's never been any effort to convert other 2.0 content into PrinterStudio format (like quests, traps, monsters, etc.).

I also don't recall if anyone actually placed an order on PrinterStudio and saved the link.

At least the heavy lifting for the heroes has been done for you if you want to print the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the feedback.

Nikki did confirm that if I were to purchase from the online store I would receive the 2.0 content. However, given the additional shipping charges and the horrendous Canadian dollar, this would set me back nearly $180.

I'll look into the cost of printing out the cards via the printer studio.

Thanks again for all your help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE.

I was fortunate enough to get the last copy of Myth with the 2.0 materials at my FLGS earlier this week and I've been playing it for three days straight.

This game is phenomenal. I already picked up Orcneas and now planning to pick up some additional minion packs this coming week.

Any suggestions on what I should get (e.g. Is it better to get minions and associated captains or more/different minions? Should I bother getting another boss other than Bones (I can't find the shamblers pack anywhere)?).

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
ap49 wrote:
Any suggestions on what I should get (e.g. Is it better to get minions and associated captains or more/different minions? Should I bother getting another boss other than Bones (I can't find the shamblers pack anywhere)?).
Most of this was just discussed here.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Most of this was just discussed here.
Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls