Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my KS package this week (Got all 3 games and almost every expansion!!), and after a thorough component check, I've begun digging into Origins as my first Hoplo game. (Oh, and the components are fantastic).

1) When executing the Xanadu Champion "Heave", do I read "directly overhead" to mean an empty hex on the opposite side (or behind) the Champion? If that hex is occupied, do I choose another hex like the back-right or back left? It's a really clever mechanic by the way. Nice AI there....

2) Regarding solo Xanadu movement priorities. Since the greatest priority for them is Arena Hex, once they occupy an Arena Hex, there doesn't seem to be a reason for them to leave. They may move to a different arena hex if it takes them closer to an opposing unit, but that's it - if I'm reading the rules correctly. As such, it seems like I can just use ranged attackers in the first couple solo trials to slowly whittle away at the bad guys standing on the Arena Tiles. Am I interpreting the board-controlled movement priorities incorrectly?

To put the question another way, the MOVE TOWARD rules for Xanadu units are as follows:

MOVE TOWARD: Arena Hex > Closest Opposing Unit > Weakest Opposing Unit

Assume that there is a Xanadu enemy on the board with a movement rating of 3, and that this unit is standing on an Arena Hex, two spaces away from two of my units in their starting spaces. When it is their turn to move, do they:

a) stay on the Arena Hex
b) skip the Arena Hex step since they are already standing on it and then move to the hex adjacent to the closest unit which also happens to be the weakest. This method seems to make more thematic sense, but then again, they are abandoning the Arena Hex and the bonus it provides, so I am not so sure...

Would really appreciate clarification here.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Al!

Hope I can help.

(1) exactly right - directly behind. If the hex is occupied (or there is no hex) then Heave does not get triggered.

(2) they don't abandon the Arena Hex, but they might move to an adjacent one if it takes them closer to an opposing unit.

best wishes, Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ricky, those were the answers I needed! Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Pleasure! Just to qualify on this point:

ricky2002 wrote:

(2) they don't abandon the Arena Hex, but they might move to an adjacent one if it takes them closer to an opposing unit.
This means they might move to an adjacent elevated Arena Hex. i.e. staying on an elevated arena hex remains the priority.

cheers! Ricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I understand the way priorities work now. It all clicked for me during my latest play. Thanks again!

ricky2002 wrote:
Pleasure! Just to qualify on this point:

ricky2002 wrote:

This means they might move to an adjacent elevated Arena Hex. i.e. staying on an elevated arena hex remains the priority.

cheers! Ricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

New player to Origins (and the series) here!

What does "Strongest" mean in Xanadu's solo champion AI mean exactly?

The opposing unit with the strongest basic attack? (add the Hs?)

The opposing unit with the most health left? (player choose if tied?)

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding a AI-movement question:

Do you check the AI rules, move one hex then restart the AI rules from the beginning? Or do you determine what they will do then "push" for all movement hex until you break a rule?

edit: found great answer at https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21590350#21590350 - it's more subtle than either, but I can see how it can become second nature. Read there for the answer, future readers!

BONUS Q&A. I wondered if Shove can be used on friendly units (the rulebook used the word "opposing"). https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1529285/question-swap-skill says that you can. I would agree thematically, but rulebook should have avoided opposing here (Toss for example says 'adjacent').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catfish
msg tools
[/q]

2) Regarding solo Xanadu movement priorities. Since the greatest priority for them is Arena Hex, once they occupy an Arena Hex, there doesn't seem to be a reason for them to leave. They may move to a different arena hex if it takes them closer to an opposing unit, but that's it - if I'm reading the rules correctly. As such, it seems like I can just use ranged attackers in the first couple solo trials to slowly whittle away at the bad guys standing on the Arena Tiles.
[/q]

By allowing them to stand on the arena hex (and gain points counted by the D6 every turn), would this strategy give the board a win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls