Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for how newbie this question is, but I just have to know. Are all class skills that require an action exhausted after use? For example, if I'm playing a Berserker, and I use my Rage ability, can I use it again a second time the same turn if I'm willing to take another fatigue for it? Or do I exhaust it after the first use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The action arrow means a skill costs an action. The word "exhaust" means the card cannot be used again until it is refreshed, which is denoted by turning the card sideways- these are distinct things. It's a bit confusing, because you might think the arrow means to turn it sideways, but this is not the case.

In short, if a skill action does not say "exhaust," you can do that action twice, provided you can pay the cost twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great question.

I am giving Descent 2 a second chance via co-op play and this exact query came up last night.

As the previous poster notes, if it doesn't mention 'exhaust' then you don't exhaust the card. In your example, Grisban could use his Beserker Rage skill twice on his turn. Once on each action. He would pay one fatigue each time, but the card is not exhausted.

Too many dungeon crawl games leads to rules from other games creeping into the mindset! Particularly when the symbols are so close. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
fentum wrote:
Too many dungeon crawl games leads to rules from other games creeping into the mindset! Particularly when the symbols are so close. whistle
Yeah, I wonder if we'd get this question less if the arrow symbol in Descent were straight instead of hooked. It really does look like a "turn 90 degrees" symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! And yeah, too many other games can mess with the head. I still have to force myself not to think "center to center" When determining line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more newbie questions (I didn't want to make a new thread for no reason):

1. The Master Flesh Moulder has the ability "Heal" with states: "[Action] Heal: Choose a monster within 3 spaces of this monster..." does this include the Master Flesh Moulder himself? I would assume so, but other cards elsewhere in the game say things like "including this monster" which makes me wonder why that wasn't stated here.

2. The Runemaster's Ghost Armor ability states "After you roll defense dice when attacked, use this card to add 1 [Shield] to the results" (bold emphasis is my own). Since this isn't an action, nor does it say exhaust does this mean I can "use" this card as many times as I want up to my stamina limit on a single defense roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
Thanks! And yeah, too many other games can mess with the head. I still have to force myself not to think "center to center" When determining line of sight.
Don't tell anyone but I still use that in all my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
A couple more newbie questions (I didn't want to make a new thread for no reason):

1. The Master Flesh Moulder has the ability "Heal" with states: "[Action] Heal: Choose a monster within 3 spaces of this monster..." does this include the Master Flesh Moulder himself? I would assume so, but other cards elsewhere in the game say things like "including this monster" which makes me wonder why that wasn't stated here.

2. The Runemaster's Ghost Armor ability states "After you roll defense dice when attacked, use this card to add 1 [Shield] to the results" (bold emphasis is my own). Since this isn't an action, nor does it say exhaust does this mean I can "use" this card as many times as I want up to my stamina limit on a single defense roll?
1. Yes, the Master Flesh Moulder can use Heal on itself.
2. Yes, the Runemaster's Ghost Armor can be used to block as much damage as the Runemaster has fatigue to spend on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more newbie questions:

1. The newbiest of all... when transitioning from the first encounter to the second encounter, do players retain all of their damage and fatigue, or do they start fresh? Also, does the overlord reshuffle played overlord cards back into their deck, or just keep going from where their deck left off? If so, do I keep my hand the same?

2. There's an ability called Hunt that is on the Hell hound monster, maybe some others, that I don't really understand. It says that after you perform an attack, you may place your target in an adjacent space to you. First off, the Hell hound only does melee damage, so the target would already be adjacent. Also, how is that hunting? Wouldn't it make more sense if the Hell hound moved TO a target as hunting? I'm just not sure what the function of the Hunt ability is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Neither. There is a set of instructions in the rulebook for this- heroes recover all fatigue, can stand up for free if they are KO, but otherwise keep all damage and conditions.

2) Hunt let's you take the target and move it to ANOTHER space adjacent to you. Think of it as pack hunting- allowing you to corral a hero toward another monster, perhaps. Theme does not always have the last word in descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
M_Strauss wrote:
A couple more newbie questions:

1. The newbiest of all... when transitioning from the first encounter to the second encounter, do players retain all of their damage and fatigue, or do they start fresh? Also, does the overlord reshuffle played overlord cards back into their deck, or just keep going from where their deck left off? If so, do I keep my hand the same?

2. There's an ability called Hunt that is on the Hell hound monster, maybe some others, that I don't really understand. It says that after you perform an attack, you may place your target in an adjacent space to you. First off, the Hell hound only does melee damage, so the target would already be adjacent. Also, how is that hunting? Wouldn't it make more sense if the Hell hound moved TO a target as hunting? I'm just not sure what the function of the Hunt ability is...
Here are the rules that Paul is referring to.
Page 18, Quests wrote:
When players transition from one encounter of a quest to another, they
perform the following steps:
• Heroes keep all damage suffered during Encounter 1.
• Heroes recover all fatigue suffered during Encounter 1.
• Heroes keep all conditions they had at the end of Encounter 1.
• Each hero player flips his Hero sheet faceup.
• Heroes keep all search cards; any flipped cards remain flipped.
• Any knocked out heroes may perform a stand up action for free.
• The overlord player keeps his current hand of Overlord cards.
• Players disassemble the map for Encounter 1 and refer to the Quest
Guide in order to set up the map for Encounter 2.
As for the Hellhounds, position in Descent can be very important. Being able to move a Hero can be very useful for the Overlord simply to be able to distance the Hero away from the objective.

Also consider daisy chaining this. One Hellhound moves the Hero a few spaces (away from the fight, action, objective, whatever) so it's now closer to another Hellhound. The second Hellhound can now move and attack potentially moving the Hero yet even further away from the action, objective, whatever. Each time this happens, it is possible to move the Hero 4 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls