Adrian Alvarez
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
“The cinema substitutes for our gaze a world more in harmony with our desires.”
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was writing my letter to Santa Grogs this year I realized I only discovered this hobby about 2 years ago. Gaming has so quickly become a focal point in my life that it seemed as though I had been doing this for much longer but there are still so many gaming experiences I have yet to discover, particularly since I only started getting into wargames a few months ago.

For myself, next year I want to learn both sides of Wilderness War, finally get War of the Ring on the table, and learn as many new wargame systems as possible (eg OCS, COIN, USE). I would also like to meet more Old Grogs for some face to face play in my area.

So what about you? Are there any games in particular you would like to get on the table? Any systems you would like to learn or master? Any historical conflicts you would like to study? What are your gaming goals in 2016?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to finally play a pbem game via Vassal, to sort of learn the software. I know how it works, generally, but I don't know the ins and outs of how to use it, I don't know the etiquette of playing games in this manner, etc. It's a great tool, obviously, and some of the modules are really incredibly well done. I'd just like to learn how to use it without entering a game under the assumption that I really know what I'm doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play more games than I buy. There are some games in particular that I've had for a long time that I really want to play. I've now got the space at least, if not the time.

Now that I have received Combat Commander: Battle Pack #7 – Leader of Men: Tournament Battle Pack, for the first time in memory I have no games on GMT P500. That's a small step...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurtis Swekla
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must get Angola! happening in 2016 (been trying for a while to get 4 people together for a whole day but hasn't worked out yet)
in addition to my not yet played or infrequently played games (Shifting Sands, Washington's War, To The Last Man!, Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939)
and finally, to try and wrap my brain around Empire of the Sun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick South
United States
Scottsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My summer got away from me, which is my main time to get into longer games as school, kids, wife, and life pretty much mean longer games are played with my gaming group only. As such, I have a few big games that I'd like to get on the table to learn: None But Heroes, Last Chance for Victory, Battle of Prague, and Battle of Monmouth. That's my big goal for 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of COIN, I am definitely hoping to pick up and "get" a COIN game next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
I don't do goals; I just play because doing so gives me pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Dickerson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally a good poll question.

For next year, I already have a few concrete goals:

1) Clean out the garage and turn it into a gaming den that other gamers in my city will want to keep coming over to.

2) Reverse the ratio of PBeM to face-to-net VASSAL games I play in favor of FTN.

3) Create a new game (based on an existing system, but an upgrade of a previously published game with a different rule set; if that makes any sense at all to anyone); at any rate, learn the production and art processes necessary to produce a game in this day and age.

4) Delve into a couple of games/systems that I just haven't yet had time to devote time to: La Battaille... series, Musket & Pike series.

5) Make good on my bucket list to tour three (or more) Civil War battlefields; Cedar Mountain, Manassas and Antietam, and take a few photos from a few key "hexes" that I've only seen on a map before. I'm gonna take my laptop on the hikes for reference, and see how well the cartographers did with the terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I am getting a Surface 4 with a big 30 inch flat laying table touch screen to play most of my boardgames on.

Some of the newer games like Heroes of Normandy and Twilight Struggle support this PC touch technology already. For others I'll use VASSAL.

2. Play my most loved games even more. And sell more games after 2-3 tries which I don't like.

3. Cross fingers that Academy Games will publish more Conflict of Heroes solo expansions and theathers of War along with a healthy GMT and other wargame companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Who's the master?
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Have fun.
2. Try out the bots in Empire of the Sun
3. Play a lot of expansion scenarios for the Command & Color games.
4. Play a monster game solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy less games.
Play minimum of 1 game per week.
Play a couple of large campaign games.
60 solo games in 60 days challenge.
Maybe buy a Surface Pro 4 for Vassal... and work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have around 10-12 wargames that I haven't played yet. I have no interest in a big collection, I don't want to own more games than I can play. So my goal now is to play the ones I'm most excited about and get rid of a couple I probably shouldn't have gotten in the first place.

On that note, anyone up for a PBEM campaign game of It Never Snows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the anniversary of la Bataille de la Somme, you say? The Big Push I think. I'm planning to spend some summer days on a touring of the actual places in France.
Also I'd love to pick a copy of Strafexpedition 1916 for the other front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Within wargaming
1. Get my son accustomed to counters (albeit shiny ones with nice pictures).
2. Patronize a small, new wargames publisher (KS or pre-order).
3. Find something to represent 16th century.

Within miniatures gaming:
1. Buy and paint some Medieval Japanese figures.

Within general boardgaming:
1. Find some medium weight games to play with my wife as well as my son.
2. Organize a kids gaming group.
3. Try to employ the components and mechanics of Core Worlds to create a racing game that simulates DS9's Dominion War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to:

- get back into playing all of the scenarios of some of my series games. A couple years ago, Mike Duffy and I dedicated ourselves to playing most of the scenarios in Battles With the Gringos and Nothing Gained But Glory. As a result, I felt that I learned those systems fairly well. I'd like to do the same with the Line of Battle, Operational Combat Series, both of Legion's Island and Indian War series.

- to refresh my experiences with the Standard Combat Series, the Great Battles of the American Civil War Series and the Battles of the Age of Reason Series.

- to buy fewer games this coming year, and play more of those I have.

- to solo the new Empire of the Sun and use that to finally play it FTF. From there to play every PTO and Asian Theater games I have, chronologically first the strategic ones, then the operational ones, then the grand tactical and tactical ones.

- as a small modifier to the third bullet point above, to fill certain gaps in my ACW battle collection. My collection could use the inclusion of the battles of Wilson's Creek, Belmont, Ft. Donelson, Pea Ridge, Iuka/Corinth, Prairie Grove, Monocacy, approach battles to Vicksburg, the battles heading toward Atlanta and Westport and Mine Creek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
badge
This is good enough as a "gaming goal list": https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/196692/scenarios-comp...

More generally, I'm interested in playing through all the games I own. I can't imagine only playing one scenario and then moving on, especially in the case of game series for which I own more than one entry. But, as with Sphere, in the end it's just about having fun so whether or not I complete all of the scenarios is irrelevant as long as I enjoy myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2016 ?

Still working on my 2015 goals.

- 352 games played so far this year - would like to make it 365 games, one for each day of the year. Got to get there this year, because next year the target number will increase

- Submit a game/publish a game - the Wargaming PnP contest gave me a jolt to do exactly that - both submitted a game and web-published a PnP one.

- Get rid of some games I don't play anymore. Got a friend who's the driving force behind a charity and I'm going to provide him with some cash through an auction later this year.

For 2016 - I know that if I don't pick sensible, actually achievable goals, I'm not going to achieve them, so my plans are to

- organize another 24 hour gaming marathon - with BBQ
- finish that space game I've been tinkering with for the past 2 years
- organize another Normandy battlefield tour - done it twice before - but that was years ago and there seems to be a demand for it.
- paint some more figs - I've been neglecting this part of the hobby, but I bought some Foundry Old West 28mm stuff at a local wargame convention this weekend and I'm really excited about painting them up.
- I'll do a lot of (war)gaming anyway, so no need for goals there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Safe, Sane, ConsensualMicrobadge: Human RightsMicrobadge: MasochistMicrobadge: Vegan
Convince my wargaming friends to meet for wargaming much more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Play one game a month (I was not able to do this since I started designing games in 2008!).

- Finish the design of 3 games (usually I do only one full game per year, with many others left unfinished).

Tall order... meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sphere wrote:
I don't do goals; I just play because doing so gives me pleasure.
A hedonist is what you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
1. Have fun.
2. Try out the bots in Empire of the Sun
3. Play a lot of expansion scenarios for the Command & Color games.
4. Play a monster game solo.
What are you thinking of for 4.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moruya23 wrote:

What are you thinking of for 4.?

Case Blue? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried gaming "goals" in the past...fell well short. I don't do gaming goals anymore...I have enough stress in my life with work, family, and financial goals to deal with, I don't need to introduce artificial stress into my hobbies. If I have any goal at all for my wargaming, it would be to simply play some games when the opportunities present themselves, and have fun doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I've tried gaming "goals" in the past...fell well short. I don't do gaming goals anymore...I have enough stress in my life with work, family, and financial goals to deal with, I don't need to introduce artificial stress into my hobbies. If I have any goal at all for my wargaming, it would be to simply play some games when the opportunities present themselves, and have fun doing so.
Having gaming goals stress you? Really? I share your pain.

You want real gaming stress: Try Game Design Deadlines! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
No goals this year as I never even come close to meeting them. I am just going to try and play as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |