Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
Hello.

We just played this for the first time tonight and had a blast. We played about 10 games all with only four players and we are preparing for a much bigger game night this weekend.
The 4 of us who played tonight are Werewolf veterans so we had no problem diving in and mixing up the roles.
However the people who will be playing this weekend with us are mostly newcomers. People who have only played Werewolf once or twice or not at all. So I want to keep it simple and play with a lot of villagers and easier roles to warm things up.

So in preparation, I was looking for some insight on how many players should be in the game before certain roles are added. I have all sets and am leaving out the entire vampire expansion and a couple of the more complex roles like the doppelganger and curator for now.

I am going off of the recommend base set up of 2 wolves, 2 villagers, robber, troublemaker and seer if only 4 people are playing.

So I lumped the other roles into the following categories. Meaning that I will only put this role in if there are at least that many people playing.

5+
Insomniac
Witch
Drunk
Aura Seer

6+
Sentinel
Village Idiot
Apprentice Seer
Hunter
Prince
Bodyguard
3rd Villager

7+
The Thing
Revealer

8+
Paranormal Investigator
2 Masons
Beholder
Tanner
Cursed

What do you think of my list? Are there any characters that you feel could be played with less people than I am suspecting, and are there any characters that should be held back for larger games than what I am suspecting?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have included the Tanner in games of 4 players. It works well with a mixed group which might contain people who either don't like lying or aren't very good at it, because it provides cover for those players. Hmmm player B is very quiet and/or they are definitely lying about being the seer/robber/etc. Are they a badly played werewolf or a slightly too obvious tanner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu Wars fanMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Nightfall fanMicrobadge: I talk trash during gamesMicrobadge: I play with red!
Orion3T wrote:
We have included the Tanner in games of 4 players. It works well with a mixed group which might contain people who either don't like lying or aren't very good at it, because it provides cover for those players. Hmmm player B is very quiet and/or they are definitely lying about being the seer/robber/etc. Are they a badly played werewolf or a slightly too obvious tanner?
That is true, but on the other end, experienced players will try to exploit the role by claiming to be the Tanner.

I would rather have them in larger games so they can be a threat, but not overinding the threat of the wolves.
I want maneuvering around the Tanner to be a secondary item. And when we put him in the 4 player game, the wolves were forgotten and the game became "Don't pick the Tanner".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Orion3T wrote:
That is true, but on the other end, experienced players will try to exploit the role by claiming to be the Tanner.

I would rather have them in larger games so they can be a threat, but not overinding the threat of the wolves.
I want maneuvering around the Tanner to be a secondary item. And when we put him in the 4 player game, the wolves were forgotten and the game became "Don't pick the Tanner".
Yes, I would agree it depends on the group, I wasn't advocating adding it by default. But I noticed you were suggesting not even considering adding it unless you had at least 8 players, when I would advocate a more flexible approach of altering the characters depending on the emerging group dynamics.

I would suggest leaving the tanner out, but consider introducing it at any player count of 4+, if it becomes obvious someone is not good at lying - after all you did mention there will be werewolf novices.

I speak from experience. When we played with 4 it was always obvious what my wife was because she is not a very good liar. We introduced the tanner and suddenly she was able to both interact more and be more competitive. I didn't really care that it distracted from the 'find the werewolves'. For us, it didn't overshadow that basic premise, it just added another element to consider.

For me, the benefit of bringing a less experienced player into the game more far outweighs the possible drawback of experts taking advantage (which they will do whatever roles are introduced).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Makes sense. I definitely will not keep this as a hard and unbending rule, but more as a guideline.

And I definitely need to feel out the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
For new groups, I always start with as suggested: the seer/troublemaker/robber threesome, 2 wolves and villagers as required. Maybe add masons if a lot of players. I usually explain for first game that wolves will generally find it easier to claim villager.
Then each game drop a villager.. add the tanner and other roles and go from there..

With a group of total newbies, I had them playing the vampire expansion after an hour or so..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johny D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play with so many villagers in any combination. We usually use only 1 villager or none at all.

All 4 player games and above should have a witch.

All 5 player games and above should include alpha wolf. It may be argued that is even a nice addition to four player games to avoid deterministic choices.

All 6 player games and above should include the doppleganger.

All 7 player games and above should include the tanner.

The prince should not appear in games with less than 7 players. Also, the hunter and the bodyguard

The village idiot should not appear in games with less than 8 players. Also the robber.

The beholder should not appear in games with less then 9 players. Also the masons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls