Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone with knowledge of both give a quick comparison and recommendation? Any similar game that may be better than either?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Specter ops is a classic hidden movement game... like Scotland yard or Fury of Dracula. These games have some players moving secretly and writing their moves down (to be revealed later) while other players try and find them. There are a lot of games in this genre based on different themes and time periods.

Rise of the Kage is different. There is no hidden movement but the ninja have to be detected before they can be attacked. The only other game I can think of that is similar is the recent GW boardgame Assasinorum Execution Force. These games are about taking out guards before they alert other guards while racing against the clock to complete your objective and escape.

I haven't played Spectre Ops but I've played most of the other games in the genre. I really enjoy them but I always have a hard time finding people interested in that type of game. Rise of the Kage has some very cool mechanics in how it has dice for stealthy and for loud actions but it also has some balance issues for competitive play and unclear rules. If you like games where you have to sneak in, complete an objective, and then fight your way out it could be worth looking into. There is another game called Mercs Recon coming soon that has a similar feel but with a near future theme. Both Merc Recon and Assasinorum Execution Force do room clearing well... You go into rooms without knowing what threat you will face until your already committed. Execution Force captured the stealthy gameplay flow better than any other tabletop game I can think of but it only has one mission. Both Recon and Execution force are true coop games which means the enemy is controlled by AI so no one is forced to play the enemy forces.

Rise of the Kage works best if the guard player acts more as a DM and tries to keep the game as close and tense as possible for as long as possible rather than just dominating the ninja players early.

In the end these are the questions that will decide what game is best for you and your group...

Do you want a stealth game where you face off against the other players or one where you work together? Do you want to try move secretly to avoid being captured or sneak around killing guards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls