Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

504» Forums » General

Subject: Which World XXX is closest to an 18XX game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 504:963 [+] 504:962 [+] 504:967 [+] 504:961 [+] 504:965 [+] [View All]
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens V
Germany
Ibbenbüren
flag msg tools
Too hot to hoot
badge
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess: 96X, where X in {1,2,3,7}

With 9 you get the stock companies and with 6 the networks to make money. The goal is also the same: make the most money. Still, there will be differences:

– you don't have to buy trains
– companies need residents to actually build the roads (tracks)
– companies can't reuse the roads (tracks) of other companies, but have to build their own
– you don't upgrade the hexes
– all cities are worth the same

Each flavor module adds something to the game that 18xx doesn't have: 2 will just give the companies some extra money during the game; 7 in the end; 1 will increase road building speed a bit because you can transport the residents faster; and 3 will make some companies better in certain aspects of the game than other (this is the case in 18XX because of different starting positions and city worth as well, so that's at least a bit similar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stocks and network building are the two cornerstones of 18xx. any 96x will feel quite like a simplified 18xx. 69x games will also be close but will encourage having stocks in the best performing companies a little more than 18xx where you are just trying to make a profit.

probably the closest would be 962, then 967, 963, 961 and 965.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Microbadge: I have a Game RoomMicrobadge: I love to pimp my own games!Microbadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Playing until death!Microbadge: I love my gaming table
World 18X is only an "X" away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
World 18X is only an "X" away!
True, and all the 8XX worlds are only 1 away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamás Fekete
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertaler wrote:
My guess: 96X, where X in {1,2,3,7}

With 9 you get the stock companies and with 6 the networks to make money. The goal is also the same: make the most money. Still, there will be differences:
I know that there are enough "built-in variants" in the 504 concept, but still, we can easily imagine and make further, more preferred variants, even for a more 18xx-like game, or even Steam-like game:

Quote:
– you don't have to buy trains
18xx variant:
Use trolley movement-point cards and the trolley cargo hold card to keep tracking of your trains capability.
You can upgrade them as per rules, but without the actual trolley figure.

Meaning: in the action round this is the distance you can transport one (or two, if upgraded) goods to its demand place (city) on your lines.
Goods have to be transported in one round.

Action round, actions:
- build tracks
- upgrade city
- transport goods

(May be considered two actions per player per round, or something.)

Quote:
– companies need residents to actually build the roads (tracks)
18xx variants:
1. You can always extend your lines without residents, for money (need some other limitations);
or
2. your trolley is a track building truck: you can move it on any hex, and build tracks on hexes where your building truck is moved (see: movement points);

Quote:
– companies can't reuse the roads (tracks) of other companies, but have to build their own
18xx variant:
you can use other players tracks, for money (1 for 10$, 2 for 30$, 3 for 60$ and so on), but it can be never more than your tracks used in this transport move.

Quote:
– you don't upgrade the hexes
18xx variant:
Upgrade cities (or any hexes?) buy pulling 2 random goods from a sack, place them on the upgraded city (or hex) as goods to transport to other cities.

Quote:
– all cities are worth the same
18xx variant:
At setup, randomly put covering tokens to city goods places, so there should be cities with 1 to 4 goods demands.

Of course the whole map can be asymmetrical and randomized, player order to be auctioned or balanced in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls