23 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Issue of "dilution" since Miskatonic module? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spent a couple hours poking around looking at various dilution threads. The ones explaining solution methods seem to be from 2010 and earlier, and not include the Miskatonic module.

For references to several, see

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/3710191#3710191

Also, these focus on the "large" card draw odds, and not on how to make sure you have the right "mix" of Investigators from each module so you get the particular skills needed, and how to make sure the "small" equipment card stacks don't get diluted and prevent you drawing the things you need to play a particular module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. What is this post trying to achieve? You pose the question "Issue of "dilution" since Miskatonic module?" but then tell us stuff. Do you want to know whether Miskatonic fixes dilution (largely, yes it does - especially with multiple expansions in play) or do you want to know what the current thinking is on dilution? I'd love to help, but I'm too dumb to figure out what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

So you think that Miskatonic eliminates the need for all the previous Dilution Solutions? You can just stack all the cards together & play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that MH was developed for those folks who like to play "all in, all the time". So its intention is to address thematic dilution in a multi-expansion configuration. I don't know whether this works because I never play multi-expansion set ups (except when using parts of multiple expansions for specific reasons). However, I do use MH in every game that I play because it does address dilution - even in single expansion scenarios - because it adjusts the proportion of expansion cards so that you really do get the theme. This is particularly true of the MH Mythos Deck with its multiple Gate location cards that ensure that Gates spawn on expansion boards (quiescent expansion boards are a big issue without MH - at least IMO).

So, "can just stack all the cards together & play?" some will answer "yes", others will answer "no". But the reasons for those answers are many and varied and not necessarily related to dilution effects. The best answer is "try it, and see which way best suits your preferences".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used my own dillution method before Miskatonic

Now I have played (at least) one game against each GOO using each time all expansions (except the Herald/Guardian) and yes, it worked well enough so I didn't use house rule for that anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Sullivan
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the house rule? Also Instead of posting a new thread, I am getting back into Arkham. For the Spell, Item, etc decks, is it necessary to skip ones not related to the expansion, can those all be played together every time?

I know for at least storage purposes, I Don't separate the cards afterwards, it would be a nightmare to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "small cards" (items, spells, skills, to some extent even allies) usually are not correlated closely to the theme of the expansions, so you can safely mix them all together and keep them so. It may be worth to separate the Allies, as you get chance to acquire them usually only when playing with certain expansion.

Also word of warning - AFAIK, the only expansion that adds Elder Signs is Kingsport Horror. The more Unique items from other expansions you mix, the less the chance to obtain one goo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you mean by "dilution." I always mean crucial mechanics.

Miskatonic has solved the mechanics for me. It has a clever way of increasing Dunwich and Innsmouth gates, and make the KiY Next Act cards appropriately more frequent. One thing it does not fix is the chances you can obtain a Cult of the Thousand encounter.

If you mean theme dilution, Miskatonic does not really fix that. That can't be done. If you use five expansions, you have five themes to randomly draw from. But Miskatonic's expansion-board encounters use and mention materials from other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "dilution." I always mean crucial mechanics.

Miskatonic has solved the mechanics for me. It has a clever way of increasing Dunwich and Innsmouth gates, and make the KiY Next Act cards appropriately more frequent. One thing it does not fix is the chances you can obtain a Cult of the Thousand encounter.

If you mean theme dilution, Miskatonic does not really fix that. That can't be done. If you use five expansions, you have five themes to randomly draw from. But Miskatonic's expansion-board encounters use and mention materials from other expansions.
Nicely put Tibs! I haven't managed to articulate my dislike of multi-expansion games as a result of thematic dilution as opposed to mechanics dilution, but this does it well. It explains why - although I only use one expansion at a time - I still regard MH as an essential part of my AH setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumin has an excellent concept for increasing theme, by putting only "appropriate" monsters in the cup:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20869679#20869679

I'd like to find a way to have a "team" working in Dunham, and another in Arkham, etc. Have to find a way to sort/stack the small decks so they have access to the particular things they will need for that particular "theme." Sucks not to get the right kind of spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Lumin has an excellent concept for increasing theme, by putting only "appropriate" monsters in the cup:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20869679#20869679

I'd like to find a way to have a "team" working in Dunham, and another in Arkham, etc. Have to find a way to sort/stack the small decks so they have access to the particular things they will need for that particular "theme." Sucks not to get the right kind of spell.
There's no such thing as "the right kind of spell" - it's not how AH works. In fact, relying on Spells at all is a bad idea in AH - it's not a "guns and sorcery" game at all.

If you want thematically tweaked scenarios with appropriate monster cups then take a look in the file section - Tibs has done your work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Characters with a low Fight and high Lore need to rely on "combat" spells to fight monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true, but fighting monsters isn't a prime focus of this game: engaging monsters is typically a necessary evil to prevent the myriad problems associated with ignoring them. With that in mind, players who are ill equipped to face monsters without combat spells should obviously only use those spells when they're out of options (a monster appears).

mccrispy makes a very good point about spells: there is always the right kind of spell, but it comes at the cost of sanity or convenience or risk of failure. Nearly anything you want to do has a spell to do it (in some expansion), but spells, like fighting monsters, are more of a matter of desperation and necessity.

Casting spells should not be empowering. It should be scary and last-ditch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tibs: your analysis leads one to conclude that characters with a high Fight are better than those with a high Lore.

Of course, you can't even begin the fight without a high enough Sanity check, and enough sanity to lose without being carted off to the Sanitorium.

And of course fighting is only to clear a path to get somewhere, or if the Monster Limit is approaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's true. Fight checks are far, far less frequent than Lore checks in encounters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you need to fight the monster in the street before you can enter the location to have an encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
But you need to fight the monster in the street before you can enter the location to have an encounter.
Hence teamwork.

I played two games tonight; in the first we kept the monster population well trimmed, and the terror level remained at zero at game end... when we lost.

In the second game, numerous monster surges kept the map flooded with monsters. We had only partial success at keeping paths open for gate closers. The terror level soared up to eight. That game, we won.

The trick of Arkham is not in finding the perfect resource; it's in solving problems with the limited resources you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But there's not always a monster in the way. And often, evading will do. And if you ARE going to fight it, then your Will stat will be important too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's leave this at the relative value of Fight vs Lore for now.

In general, to complete an entire task (or task series) you need a decent number in several stats, and they are arranged on opposite sides of the slider. If you have a high Focus you might be able to change them to what you need -- if you can predict WHEN you are going to need it !

Those with low Focus -- do they have higher stats at each end of the slider? But that's of no use since they can't change Focus fast enough. So what's their strategy? What Items do they need to make up for low Focus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
What Items do they need to make up for low Focus?
You rarely get to pick your items.

What a low focus character (or any character) needs is the resolve to work with the resources you have (or can borrow) to advance the game.

If your focus is too low for your current plan to work, make a new plan or take a risk.

Items are important... crucial... but you have to learn to operate with inadequate resources, since that's what you will have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words -- you can't answer the question !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
In other words -- you can't answer the question !
Camilla's Ruby.

Now wasn't that illuminating.

I thought it was better to try to get you to view resources a little more broadly, rather than looking for items to "fix" things... never "what can I get", always "what have I got".

But if you prefer your question answered straight, it's Camilla's Ruby. A useless answer, because you are asking the wrong question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to apologize for the tone of my last post, which upon re-reading is much sharper than I had intended.

I suppose I am frustrated by my inability to articulate my point. (Not an excuse, just an explanation.)

There are very few circumstances under which your focus level changes your strategy. Low focus is not a flaw; higher focus is a mild advantage.

In most circumstances (there are exceptions) players will leave their skill sliders in the positions previously chosen.

However, let us take the example of a character with a knife, who obtains a tommy gun.

That player will want to reduce their Fight and raise their Will.

A high focus character will make the adjustment quicker than the low focus character, but the low focus character will get there just a bit slower.

The strategy is not different; the performance is slightly different. A higher focus is a small advantage.

There are circumstances under which skill slider position changes can be more important, but they are infrequent. When you find yourself in such a situation with a low focus character... well, you make do, and play the character you have as well as you can.

(One tip... if your focus is low and you are entering another world, keep in mind what stat you will be using to close the gate.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls