10 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dracarys! question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use Dracarys! event anytime or only in the challenges phase? It mentions a participating character so we thought it only could be used during a challenge. Shouldn't this event be marked a challenges action then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Soule
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've been wondering the exact same thing, so I'm going to go ahead and subscribe to this post! Thanks for asking the question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Participating character does mean one that is participating in a challenge. It currently isn't possible to use Dracarys outside of the challenges phase, but it could be possible in the future if cards are printed that allow for declaring challenges in other phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. Ok cool. On a side note, future cards sound like things could get crazy. Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Dracarys! still be played at the end of all challenges. i.e. after the final player resolves his last challenge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an action window after every challenge (even after the "last" challenge although technically during things action window the active player has not yet decided if the most recent challenge was his last)

However, Dracarys would not have any valid target during this action window because no characters are participating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
Can Dracarys! still be played at the end of all challenges. i.e. after the final player resolves his last challenge?
No. It targets a "participating character". Outside of an active challenge, there are no such targets.

1.0 had a handful of mechanisms that allowed challenges to occur outside the Challenge phase (i.e., Epic Phases, Lucas Blackwood). Truth be told, I'm rather hoping epic phases aren't reprised, but I'll be very surprised if we don't get some cards like Lucas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this situation

I had Arya out with a dupe, and I attached Ice to her giving her 4 str. After I initiated a challenge with her, my opponent plays Dracarys, which reduces my str by -4 until the end of the phase. So my str is zero, which means she is killed because of the text on Dracarys.

Speculation: I cannot discard one of the dupes to save her because her str would still be zero, and she would be killed anyway. In this case, the only way to keep her out would be to increase her str (with an event like For the North) or cancel the event (Bran, hands judgement, etc).

this is how we played, but it took a minute or two before we came to this judgement.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even For the North would not save her because it doesn't interrupt the kill. It will only "save" her if her strength was already increased before Dracarys was played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Thumb up