Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this scheme today with my wife and daughter in a game where my daughter was playing as the Commander with the Ambition cards from Secret Wars. Since you're able to fight the Cops in front of any player and distribute their caged Ally to any player, and since we were playing an adversarial game, the following question came up. Are you allowed to hide your card under the Cops card, or is the current player allowed to inspect the cards to see which card they want to "liberate" possibly to their own hand? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Cage Villains in Power-Supressing Cells wrote:

Setup: 8 Twists. Stack 2 Cops per player next to this Plot.
Twist: Each player returns all Cops from their Victory Pile to the Cop Stack. Then each player puts a non-grey Ally from their hand in front of them. Put a Cop from the Cop Stack on top of each of those Allies.
Special Rules: You can fight any Cop on top of Allies. If you do, the player of your choice gains that Ally.
Good Wins: When a Twist must put out a Cop, but the Cop Stack is already empty.
There is nothing in the text preventing the any player from viewing the cards underneath but you could play it 1 of 3 ways based on what you decide as a group

1) Have all hero players (because MM players are immune to Plot twists) put the cards out that are to be captured in clear view of the entire table with enough time for all players to see what you are putting out and then place the cop card over it. After that no player is allowed to look underneath. This would give both sides equal footing in deciding who to free.

2) Have everyone hide who they are putting in jail (even put those cards face down) so no one knows who to free.

3) Allow all players to look to see who is caged.

Each option provides for a different strategy on how to play that scheme but the important thing to remember is that is should be universal knowledge or lack there of for all players

EDIT: in responding to your other post, I double checked the SW1 rules and found I was playing it wrong, all players are effected by the scheme/plot twists

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az933k wrote:
all players are effected by the scheme/plot twists
Yeah, this seems like an odd choice by the designers. Maybe in a survey of the various schemes and plots it made more sense overall, despite odd contradictions in specific circumstances? Perhaps a determination should be made game-by-game for house rules on whether it affects the mastermind/commander player or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
az933k wrote:
all players are effected by the scheme/plot twists
Yeah, this seems like an odd choice by the designers. Maybe in a survey of the various schemes and plots it made more sense overall, despite odd contradictions in specific circumstances? Perhaps a determination should be made game-by-game for house rules on whether it affects the mastermind/commander player or not.
Welcome to the Forums. That is mostly what we do here.

For the most part, card text is pretty future-proof to new cards but there are a few instances where it doesn't make total sense.

House-Rules often come into effect on things like that as it is more important to me that everyone has fun playing as that will lead to the game coming out again as opposed to worrying about what the ruling would be at a tournament.

Although when ever I get stumped on how it should be played, I post the question here and usually get a fairly quick response from other players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Abel Pedrero Gallegos
Mexico
flag msg tools
I need help with this plot.
When you fight a cop above your ally, do you still gain the new recruit as the cop card says?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Verker9977 wrote:
I need help with this plot.
When you fight a cop above your ally, do you still gain the new recruit as the cop card says?
Exact text on the Scheme:

Cage Villains in Power-Suppressing Cells wrote:

Setup: 8 Twists. Stack 2 Cops per player next to this Plot.
Twist: Each player returns all Cops from their Victory Pile to the Cop Stack. Then each player puts a non-grey Ally from their hand in front of them. Put a Cop from the Cop Stack on top of each of those Allies.
Special Rules: You can fight any Cop on top of Allies. If you do, the player of your choice gains that Ally.
Good Wins: When a Twist must put out a Cop, but the Cop Stack is already empty.
There is nothing to say that you don't, so yes, when you defeat the Cop, you would trigger the Fight effect, in this case:

Cops wrote:
Fight: Gain a New Recruit.
then you would trigger the special rules of the Scheme, "Player of your choice gains an Ally"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiliano Abel Pedrero Gallegos
Mexico
flag msg tools
Awesome, that's how i've been playing. I had this doubt because i remember reading that these cops don't belong to the adversary deck or they are not the same. Something like that. But thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls