Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at turn 12 of my solo learning run-through. I noticed a few things...wanted to see how the other players of this game approached them.

Strafing: I have been very hesitant to do this, only because I do not like to use an air support on a 16.5% (or 33% with Strat Move) chance of hitting something when I can use it to get a guaranteed CRT shift in a combat. I haven't been using the Stat Move in this game as much as I probably should but I imagine a couple of wisely placed Flak units could help keep a favorable DRM for the Germans when using Strat move.

German offensive: I've come into situations on Clear Weather turns where the Germans have no good attacks...1-1 at best before Jabos rolls. Is this a common occurrence? Turns 10 and 11 were like thi. I've found the best thing to do is to just move to better defensive positions, maybe set up some ZOC bonds, and not attack at all. Although I feel like it's wasting a turn to do so, when I have tried to do attack under these conditions, it mostly just results in the attackers losing a step. I suppose this sort of answers itself, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has the same experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Re German offensive, it will depend on the situation. Vulnerable beach ? Attack. Allies close to their cadre limit ? Attack. Need to extricate valuable units ? Attack. Don't forget that shifts for artillery and troop quality can bump up that 1-1 attack. And if you can force an Allied stack to retreat and thereby disrupt, it might be worth the loss of a step to blunt a potential Allied attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't strafe. Like you I prefer the combat odds shift. When clear weather, as you have learned you have to be judicious in deciding if it's worth attacking. Previous post laid out some situations. One other is when you have the British player in clear terrain. The terrain West and NW of Caen is clear terrain. I pull the Germans back to the edge of the bocage/clear terrain line. When the British are sitting in the clear terrain I attack with 12SS and Pz Lehr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately this is exactly what the game proposes, an hopeless attritional stalemate turn after turn passed the first week or so. Historical perhaps, but kinda boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
Re German offensive, it will depend on the situation. Vulnerable beach ? Attack. Allies close to their cadre limit ? Attack. Need to extricate valuable units ? Attack. Don't forget that shifts for artillery and troop quality can bump up that 1-1 attack. And if you can force an Allied stack to retreat and thereby disrupt, it might be worth the loss of a step to blunt a potential Allied attack.

This is a good point. Actually, I was so concentrated on getting the rules down that I kind of overlooked the automatic victory conditions against the british...five 3-step-to-cadre reductions is probably the easiest route to victory for the Germans. I bet that Tiger battalion helps toward this, although in this game I sent it into Caen to defend the city and wasn't able to use it to it's best potential in hindsight.

gohrns wrote:
One other is when you have the British player in clear terrain. The terrain West and NW of Caen is clear terrain. I pull the Germans back to the edge of the bocage/clear terrain line. When the British are sitting in the clear terrain I attack with 12SS and Pz Lehr.

I'm going try this on my next run through. I had been sending everything towards Caen and Carentan (the Germans had taken back Carentan around turn 8 and needed help).

Benoitl33 wrote:
Unfortunately this is exactly what the game proposes, an hopeless attritional stalemate turn after turn passed the first week or so. Historical perhaps, but kinda boring.

I will admit the action slows down a little after the first few turns and you have to grind it out more, but I haven't found it to be boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.