Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I just got a copy of mysterium and looking forward to playing. I've been seeing a lot of controversy about whether the clairvoyance track adds any value to the game, and trying to decide if it makes more sense to just not use it.

It seems like the main value is that it adds another bit of player interaction and it provides a convenient tie breaker for the end game if needed. That all sounds good, but I don't really like the idea that we could play an entire game just to have everyone only get to view one card at the end, so that the game basically ends on a blind guess.

I thought a simple solution would be to do a house rule where players get a clairvoyance point each time they correctly identify a card - which would mean essentially 3 extra clairvoyance points for each player over the course of the game. That would be an easy way of keeping the clairvoyance track in the game but reduce the chance that players will only be seeing one card at the end.

Couple questions:
1. Has anyone tried this rule change, and if so did it seem to work?

2. In your experience what's the typical rate of players only earning 6 or less clairvoyance points and only seeing 1 card at the end? Is it somewhat rare or is it a situation that players find themselves in a majority of the time?

Thanks! I'll be sure to update how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that would be the same as simply lowering the thresholds or each player starting at three instead of zero...

In the first two games, all players saw all cards, but at least in the second we had a mistake using too many tokens for our number of players (though it became pretty obvious during the game that we simply had too many to make the clairvoyance track meaningful).

Game three (6 players) we had a pretty even spread of players seeing one, two or three cards (although seeing all three actually threw me off).

Game four (four players), one saw only one, the other two saw two. In this particular game I was pretty happy about it since I didn't like the third card (it was quite vague) and we were lucky enough that it came last/remained hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yeah it would basically be the same as starting at 3, only maybe a little more organic way of accomplishing the same thing - which would be to make it less likely anyone would only see one card.

It's good to hear that everyone only seeing one card doesn't happen too often. It seems like you'd want it to work so that you'd kind of have to mess up badly to only see one, not something that is the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.