Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: What is the thematic difference in Other World locations & colors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than green seems to screw you less, how do the different OW's and colors give the players a way to use some sort of strategy?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't made a close study of this, but I have played more than two hundred games of Arkham.

My impression is that as you say, green is easier.

Blue is more likely to cost you (or give you) sanity and spells.

Red has more damage to (or recovery of) stamina.

Yellow gives more money.

As I said, I've never done a real breakdown, but these are the guidelines I use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
There's a thread in this forum somewhere that breaks it all down.

edit: I don't think this is the one I'm thinking of, but I went back 25 pages and this is the only one that jumped out:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1159913/other-world-dif...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:
There's a thread in this forum somewhere that breaks it all down.

edit: I don't think this is the one I'm thinking of, but I went back 25 pages and this is the only one that jumped out:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1159913/other-world-dif...
Are you remembering this post by Tibs? Re: Some First Play Questions. As a layer on top of that it's definitely Red=Hardest and Green=Easiest with Yellow and Blue in between.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar

I don't think so. I thought I remembered something broken down by frequency (RED 30% stamina loss, 20% monster, etc.). Maybe it was at the FFG forums, but a quick search there didn't turn up what I'm thinking of.

The only other place I might have run into it is reddit, and I think that can be ruled out...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

I don't think so. I thought I remembered something broken down by frequency (RED 30% stamina loss, 20% monster, etc.). Maybe it was at the FFG forums, but a quick search there didn't turn up what I'm thinking of.

The only other place I might have run into it is reddit, and I think that can be ruled out...
I've been hanging around here for a long time and I don't remember a breakdown like that. But there might be something in the files section if somebody created a spreadsheet of that information (I don't pay much attention to the files section, unlike the Forums.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case some don't want to be auto-spoiled:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From the keyboard of "The Man" himself:

"Red - Red tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's Stamina.

Yellow - Yellow tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's Sanity.

Blue - Blue tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's possessions.

Green - Green tends to be good or neutral." (Kevin Wilson)
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Just in case some don't want to be auto-spoiled:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
From the keyboard of "The Man" himself:

"Red - Red tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's Stamina.

Yellow - Yellow tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's Sanity.

Blue - Blue tends to be bad and attacks an investigator's possessions.

Green - Green tends to be good or neutral." (Kevin Wilson)
If only they had thought about the colours better, then the colours themselves would have been (at least in part) mnemonic. GRRRR!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls