Forbidden Island» Forums » General

Subject: variants or no variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does this game really need variants to make it better? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i only make use of variants with regards to island setup to spice things up...other than that, it's all vanilla for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jog1118 wrote:
i only make use of variants with regards to island setup to spice things up...other than that, it's all vanilla for me

Yep, same with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I want spice, I'll play Forbidden Desert instead. With my Dune variant. Spice, and giant sand worms too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're new to the game, and have played only a few times. Despite that, we've still downloaded and printed the island layout variant cards. That, I think, is the best (and certainly easiest) way to give the game some variety. We don't intend to add any of the alternate roles.

We have played one completely vanilla game (standard layout) and won. Our tile layout was incredibly convenient, as all of the treasure tiles were right next to Fool's Landing. I think we caught a break there.

Next my younger son and I played the "Bridge of Something..." and barely won.

The last game was the layout where it looks like two tall buildings on either side, and to our dismay both of the fire tiles were at the very end of those towers. Despite that, we managed to collect all of the treasures but we ran out of time because the flood gauge topped out. One of the four different ways to lose.

I like the different layouts, because different roles are going to be more / less important based on how you have to move around. With the fact that you shuffle the tiles each time, the game replayability improves dramatically with this one simple change. Do you need this? No, certainly not. But it does enhance the game without requiring any reworking of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the extra roles are too good or too bad. The extra layouts really make it interesting, usually making it harder and making the diver much more useful since there is so much more water next to the tiles.

The variants really extend the life of the game, giving much more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started using this variant after a lot of plays. It makes the game fun again when you played it too much.
Bored of the Island? Try adding tropical rain, a cyclone, angry monkeys, island natives, cannibals, or a dinosaur!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Dukai
msg tools
cornixt wrote:
Several of the extra roles are too good or too bad. The extra layouts really make it interesting, usually making it harder and making the diver much more useful since there is so much more water next to the tiles.

The variants really extend the life of the game, giving much more variety.

More water where? Where you don't put any tiles, like on Atoll of Decisions? The Diver can't swim on non-existant tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mazout2 wrote:
Does this game really need variants to make it better? Why?
I am use this variant: “if you draw Fool’s Landing card when you setup first 6 flooded tiles discard it to flooded deck and then reshuffle the deck.” I am using it to prevent possible first turn sudden death, when you can’t do anything to stop it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.