Above and Below» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Rock ClimberMicrobadge: "I have a cunning plan, my Lord!"Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Chad Jensen fan
Any issues regarding the replayability with this game? Specifically, for those that have played multiple times, are there enough stories to keep games fresh or does it start to get repetitive?

Just came across this game and I think I would like to add it to my collection, but this was the one thing that jumped out to me that could be a potential problem, especially if one person has played many times while others have not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Marshall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Any issues regarding the replayability with this game? Specifically, for those that have played multiple times, are there enough stories to keep games fresh or does it start to get repetitive?

Just came across this game and I think I would like to add it to my collection, but this was the one thing that jumped out to me that could be a potential problem, especially if one person has played many times while others have not.
The stories are limited. I think there are about 150 (the numbers in the book go to 215, but several are continuations of other stories). This could be a concern.

I have not played any other story telling games, such as Tales of the Arabian Nights but I've played AandB with other who have and they tell me that while TotAN has many more stories, thos in AandB are much superior and enjoyable. Just FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
I think you should be fine. Especially if you space out your plays. Though you might remember snippets hear and there when you re-hear them it's unlikely you'll remember what benefits they give you.

I've played it 3 times and heard a couple of repeats but it doesn't take much away from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mb
We've had 15 plays now, and yes we have had virtually all the stories, and now most games are entirely full of repeats - but we still enjoy it.

I will be glad to have the extra stories (desert etc) that Ryan is still working on, and after that I intend to write a set myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Calne
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
We've had 15 plays now, and yes we have had virtually all the stories, and now most games are entirely full of repeats - but we still enjoy it.

I will be glad to have the extra stories (desert etc) that Ryan is still working on, and after that I intend to write a set myself.
Absolutely. It's definitely a game that will benefit from expansion stories but with the addition of a new booklet and a few new cards these should be easy enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
It would be really cool to have fan made sets here on BGG. That could bring this game to the next level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woosh_ito wrote:
entwife wrote:
It would be really cool to have fan made sets here on BGG. That could bring this game to the next level.
My friends aren't big readers, I'm considering stealing stories from fantasy books to be events in a fan expansion. Things like diskworld and the farseerer trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mikols
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 10+ plays now and the only issue I had with replayability I'm thinking is the star/end game buildings. It would be nice if there was more and the same ones didn't come out every game.
Also I've been thinking of maybe turning that 3/6 builder into a 'gathering' villager since I don't play with the tool tokens or quests. It would be nice to add some value to that character without him being too over powering.
Only thing with adding cards you gotta watch changing the frequency and rarity of the certain goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedMarshall wrote:
Bohmoplata wrote:

The stories are limited. I think there are about 150 (the numbers in the book go to 215, but several are continuations of other stories). This could be a concern.

I have not played any other story telling games, such as Tales of the Arabian Nights but I've played AandB with other who have and they tell me that while TotAN has many more stories, thos in AandB are much superior and enjoyable. Just FYI.
Arabian Nights is definitely more immersive and expansive in the story telling, but the actual gameplay is junk and the game drags on for way too long. I found it unplayable, but there are variants that probably help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott3387 you just blew my mind.
The theme of this game could be adapted to changes for so many different stories. This game could really have some lasting potential for re-theme for other pop culture things. WOW!

scott3387 wrote:
woosh_ito wrote:
entwife wrote:
My friends aren't big readers, I'm considering stealing stories from fantasy books to be events in a fan expansion. Things like diskworld and the farseerer trilogy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fanMicrobadge: Rock ClimberMicrobadge: "I have a cunning plan, my Lord!"Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Chad Jensen fan
Thanks for all the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls