Popular Tags: [View All]
William Crowe
Canada
Kirkland
Quebec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi

On my 3rd mission over Tokyo I took damage from an enemy fighter, which caused my landing gear to drop down (Table 7-5, roll 12/roll 6). Fortunately I was able to manually raise my gear on my return as otherwise I would not have had enough fuel to make it back to base.

Prior to landing back at base I tried unsuccessfully to manually lower my gear (1 try) so ended up having to do a belly landing, which gives you a -3 dr modifier on table 8-1.

With a total dr modifier of -5 (landing at night as well) I ended up with a result of 1-Crew safe and B-29 repairable for next mission.

While I don’t find surviving this mishap unrealistic I can’t imagine that after a belly landing the aircraft would be ready for the next mission even if the engines had been shut down prior to settling onto to the runway to minimize damage.

Just wondering whether a house rule for certain amounts of damage which would leave your crew safe but your aircraft not repairable for the next 1, 2…. missions in which case you would need to take a different aircraft.

I would be interested to hear what every bodies thought are on this.

Just starting my 8th mission and must say I am enjoying the game even though it is very chart and die rolling heavy.

Sure would be nice to see somebody come up with a flip book for this like what has been made for D-Day at Omaha beach and Tarawa.

Cheers,
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max
United States
Fuquay Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Reign of Fire
badge
Bombs Away! Mission 9.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like what you're asking for was created for B-17: Queen of the Skies (an inspiration to this game) here. You'll probably have to do some work to adapt it to B-29, but it's a start.

Could you link me to that flip book? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crowe
Canada
Kirkland
Quebec
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hi
Thanks for the link to that, looks like exactly what I was getting at with my post. Did not think to look in the B-17:QOTS forum.

The link to the D-Day at Tarawa flip book is here

And D-Day at Omaha Beach flip book is here

There is also a flip book for RAF: Battle of Britain 1940 (single player RAF) here

Not sure I have inserted the links correctly, if not I will try again.

Cheers,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
bcrowe2 wrote:
...Just wondering whether a house rule for certain amounts of damage which would leave your crew safe but your aircraft not repairable for the next 1, 2…. missions in which case you would need to take a different aircraft.

I would be interested to hear what every bodies thought are on this.

Just starting my 8th mission and must say I am enjoying the game even though it is very chart and die rolling heavy...
Yes, a house rule such as the one you propose makes sense. I have wound up using several house rules, because like you I find this game to be really, really chart and die rolling heavy.

The topic interests me and many aspects of the game play are quite good, but I never play with the navigation rules, for example. And instead of rolling for fighter type and enemy pilot quality, I just put all the Japanese fighter counters into a cup and pull one when I have a fighter attack to resolve.

I'm resuming a campaign I put aside two years ago. I'm now on my 7th mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls