Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
I really like the Metropolis expansion SG, especially since it will cost extra after the campaign. The others, however, feel like they should all be one SG. Component upgrades feel funny unless you can unlock all my of them, and unless this campaign gets a major jolt, it won't hit the last few. That would leave some nice wooden pieces alongside cardboard cutouts.

I'd rather it be an all or nothing goal. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra
Sweden
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer the wooden ship meeples, instead of wooden tokens for fish and wood, to be the next SG, but that's just me.
I agree that having half the resources as wooden tokens and half be cardboard would feel a little wonky. (Simurgh, I'm looking at you...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Meyer
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Uwe Rosenberg fanMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
i think we will easily hit all of the SG, there are 2 more weeks to go for the campaign and rahdo's runtrough video wich is on since today will give it a huge boost i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarcraftZIVI wrote:
i think we will easily hit all of the SG, there are 2 more weeks to go for the campaign and rahdo's runtrough video wich is on since today will give it a huge boost i think.
Oh nice I've been waiting for Rhado's video. I'm already a backer but I still love to watch his run throughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I really like the Metropolis expansion SG, especially since it will cost extra after the campaign. The others, however, feel like they should all be one SG.
It's hard not to love the expansion SG.

I can understand making each component upgrade a different SG. It makes for better "Stretch Goal Theatre".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petra
Sweden
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
WarcraftZIVI wrote:
Oh nice I've been waiting for Rhado's video. I'm already a backer but I still love to watch his run throughs.
Me too! And I really love the look of Islebound in action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vonk
msg tools
I would love to see a stretch goal of making the island tiles double-sided. The other side could have the same island names (so as to work with the event cards) but different resources, actions, etc. It would add a lot to the replay potential. Now I am just brainstorming, but there could be events in the game that flipped the tile(s) and really shook things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
VonkItUp wrote:
I would love to see a stretch goal of making the island tiles double-sided. The other side could have the same island names (so as to work with the event cards) but different resources, actions, etc. It would add a lot to the replay potential. Now I am just brainstorming, but there could be events in the game that flipped the tile(s) and really shook things up.
That's a really cool idea, but I hesitate to request anything that hasn't been balanced and play-tested already. I have no doubt that Ryan Laukat would do an awesome job, but it might eat into the delivery timeline if he has to go back to play-testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I hesitate to request anything that hasn't been balanced and play-tested already. I have no doubt that Ryan Laukat would do an awesome job, but it might eat into the delivery timeline if he has to go back to play-testing.
This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Costa
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HonestlyI would love more event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Rorke
South Africa
Sandton
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am honest the only stretch goals I care for is the expansion goal and the Ship meeple one. I find the wooden tokens aren't at all needed.

Even Above and Below my group found ourselves preferring the Cardboard tokens simply cause the shapes of the wooden tokens weren't actually that good and we got confused at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love some way to cross over Above and Below with Islebound. Perhaps if not mechanically, some storyline that concludes a game of above and below, allowing players to jump into Islebound right after, maybe combining scores. Above, below and islebound. Sounds a bit like Bed, Bath and Beyond... But I'd play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
Personally I'd rather have plastic ships like this.

Or just cardboard ships with a unique ship for each color. Really put that Ryan look into play. I'm fine with all the resources as is.

If I was going to replace anything it would probably be the cubes for marking which Islands you own. My first pick would be player colored plastic or wooden flags. I'd also take disks or cardboard chits with Ryan art. Anything over generic cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Zwicker
United States
Grafton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game needs more ship boards and more event cards.

I have above and beyond and there is a limit to many parts of the game.

Adding more cards and boards will help a ton on making sure the game last as long as the great art does.

If that delays the output of the game because of play testing it would be worth it in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
shallowz wrote:
If that delays the output of the game because of play testing it would be worth it in the long run.
I heartily disagree, and I feel a vast majority of folks would agree with me. I don't like campaigns that add on unplanned things that delay delivery. It would require not only design time, but play testing and changes to production quotes and timeline estimates.

Ryan Laukat knows what he's doing and I have faith that the game he is Kickstarting is the one he envisioned. More ship boards and event cards would be awesome for an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Shakespeare fanMicrobadge: NMBR 9 fanMicrobadge: Azul fanMicrobadge: University of MichiganMicrobadge: Concept Fan
MAJBrown22 wrote:
shallowz wrote:
I heartily disagree, and I feel a vast majority of folks would agree with me. I don't like campaigns that add on unplanned things that delay delivery. It would require not only design time, but play testing and changes to production quotes and timeline estimates.

Ryan Laukat knows what he's doing and I have faith that the game he is Kickstarting is the one he envisioned. More ship boards and event cards would be awesome for an expansion.
I think I'll have to disagree with that, at least in theory.

If a game is made noticeably better and it's value is prolonged by being delayed for a little while then, to me, it's definitely worth it. A delay is a finite thing but that improved finished product is forever.

... Or at least until the ravages of time and erosion destroy it but you get my point.

PS: Above and Below could definitely use a few more outpost cards (to avoid that clumsy four player first round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
the game needs more ship boards and more event cards...

Adding more cards and boards will help a ton on making sure the game last as long as the great art does.

I thumbed this, not because I agree with it, but because it's very interesting.

I haven't played the game, so I can't comment on how much it would benefit from more ship boards and event cards.

There are some variables here, several of which Ryan is in the best position to estimate, such as:
- how committed is Ryan's time over the next few months? If it's firmly committed to other projects, that would rule out further additions to this KS project.
- how many backers would unpledge if the expected delivery date slipped to, say November 2016?
- how much does the base game need more stuff?
- how much does {base game + expansion} need more stuff?

Opinion: If the game needs more stuff, then said stuff should go in every copy, not just in the KS version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dyepbr wrote:
I would love some way to cross over Above and Below with Islebound. Perhaps if not mechanically, some storyline that concludes a game of above and below, allowing players to jump into Islebound right after, maybe combining scores. Above, below and islebound. Sounds a bit like Bed, Bath and Beyond... But I'd play it
The next game in the series will be Bed, Bath and Below. New addition: baths! You have to keep the villagers rested and clean now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think we'd be able to do anything that delays the production, but there are some little changes that we'll be able to make before the art goes to the printer. And I do plan to make the opposite side of each sea board be slightly different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Jurney
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:
I don't think we'd be able to do anything that delays the production, but there are some little changes that we'll be able to make before the art goes to the printer. And I do plan to make the opposite side of each sea board be slightly different.
So this obviously means you are doing double sided boards? The last thing I saw was a comment on the Kickstarter page that said you would look into it. By the way love the look and feel of this game, pretty excited for this after I binge played above and below 10 times in a row!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
it's
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
Play black time!
Microbadge: BGG is my homepageMicrobadge: I love getting GeekMail!Microbadge: Three cheers for awesome GeekBuddies! Huzzah!Microbadge: Thank you Secret Santa for the presents!Microbadge: The Women and Gaming community supports me
Sounds awesome. You rock, Ryan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney06 wrote:
mechanicalfish wrote:
So this obviously means you are doing double sided boards? The last thing I saw was a comment on the Kickstarter page that said you would look into it. By the way love the look and feel of this game, pretty excited for this after I binge played above and below 10 times in a row!
Thanks! And I'm happy to hear Above and Below went over so well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Laukat
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Janna_ wrote:
Sounds awesome. You rock, Ryan!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the double-sided boards be a KS exclusive, or available later at retail? I'd be up for KS if I weren't strapped for cash...but Islebound will be an insta-buy for met at retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wayfarer82 wrote:
Would the double-sided boards be a KS exclusive, or available later at retail? I'd be up for KS if I weren't strapped for cash...but Islebound will be an insta-buy for met at retail.
I would assume all versions of the game would have double sided tiles because it seems unlikely they would pay the extra cost to do two different print runs of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |