Subject: Things I loved and hated as Dracula. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So I just finished my first game as Dracula, and am by no means an expert but I won quite handily, and I thought I might make a quick little suggestion guide of things that i really hated and loved as dracula when the hunters did it to help out other Draculas and hunters in the future.

Thing I hated: When the hunters stayed fairly spread out when looking for my trail in 2 teams of 2. With each person in one of those teams not being more than 2 spaces away.

Thing I loved: When all 4 of the hunters gathered very tightly in a specific region making escape as bat and wolf form or taking a boat much more potent by leaving them in the dust and them taking forever to get into a position to find me again

Thing I hated: When the hunters had lots of weapons especially knives and rifles as those can cancel bat form which is much better than fog.

Thing I loved: When hunters found me and went into combat with nothing but Garlic and fists.

Thing I hated: When the hunters used their trade action to make plans and speak in private so that they could co ordinate cards.

Things I loved: When the hunters thought it was more worthwhile to draw and discard event cards instead of trading them, especially with van hellsing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree with your list.

I finished my first game yesterday and really enjoyed it. I placed Dracula very poorly in the start (in Leipzig) and the hunters worked out where I was hiding before my first turn! Since that point the entire game was a mad chase with me doing poor Drac some serious damage to evade capture. I raced across Germania, across the North Sea to Edinburgh, in Wolf Form down to London, into the English channel (then with a crafty use of Misdirect) back into the North Sea and back across Germania into Eastern Europe, stopped for a second to Feed and recover some health, down into Athens then across the sea again to Genoa and Wolf Form again into southern France, then south into Spain and then north again to Nantes, then Wolf Form again through the encroaching net of hunters down to Marseilles and into northern Italy finally arriving in Munich a few days into in the fourth week of the game. At this point I would basically win as long as I kept moving (though Dracula was down to 4 or 5 health left without having faced combat once!). Then in a bold move, Dr Seward used Sense of Emergency to move to Munich and found me. I ambushed him with an Aggressive Vampire who he easily dispatched with a Holy Communion. Then in the dusk, Dracula managed to mesmerize the poor Doctor and then bit him. Mina played the Great Strength card to cancel the bite and I pointed out to the group that I only needed one influence to win, which I still got by successfully biting Dr Seward, despite him not being defeated. The hunters were rather non-plussed at this "technical" victory so we continued combat and I managed to bite the Doctor once again and put at end to the game.

I felt that the hunters played really well, generally forming two teams of two (Van Helsing and Mina effectively "pinging" the different regions from the center of the map and Dr Seward and Lord Goldaming chasing me down with effective use of train tickets and event cards). However, while I was sweating the entire game and practically killing Dracula in my efforts to avoid capture (I never once managed to mature a vampire for example due to the hunters playing so efficiently), I did feel that it was incredibly difficult for the hunters to actually win.

Has anyone played a game in which the hunters won? Is the game not balanced?

We discussed it a bit after the game and thought that Drac's Wolf Form card should probably do more damage to him as it is really far too powerful if it only does 1 damage (as per the card - there is a contradiction in one of the rulebooks). We thought it should do 3 damage but maybe that's excessive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game we played the Hunters won on the Monday of the third week. We'd had Dracula on the run for most of the game, though a mis-step in the early second week allowed him to slip through our 'cordon' and escape out of the Balkans. Thanks to Mina's 'ping' we narrowed him down to France, and with a fair bit of luck we managed to corner him in Bordeaux with 2 hunters. With both hunters rocking weapons and holy bullets, the fight was largely inevitable and Dracula was slain.

We only got a couple of minor rules wrong in our first playthrough, mostly to do with the Hospitals (Dracula managed to drop Van Helsing in the first week and we messed up the Hospitals rules) and we messed up the rumour tokens by allowing Dracula to place one on the fourth slot.

The Events the Hunters pulled were pretty useless, though a lucky Local Rumours early in the first week revealed Dracula and allowed Van Helsing to shoot him once (This damage proved to be pretty crucial in the end as it limited his sea movement a lot) and Dracula's Great Wolf ally consistently annoyed Mina and meant she often had to waste actions at night healing.

Overall it seemed pretty well balanced, we suspect that Dracula could win without some horrible luck by simply running around willy nilly for 3 weeks using Wolf Form and Misdirect a lot. But equally we suspect that won't be fun for either Dracula or the Hunters and consequently no-one in my group is likely to play like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truce Idares
South Africa
flag msg tools
mb
My understanding is that wolf form froms part of the location trial and you have to wait 6 turns for it to fall off before you can use it again. So thats once a week.

Can it really help Drac run around map the whole game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Idares wrote:
My understanding is that wolf form froms part of the location trial and you have to wait 6 turns for it to fall off before you can use it again. So thats once a week.

Can it really help Drac run around map the whole game?

It falls off at the end unless you clear hideouts for any reason, particularly maturing Vampires. And even then, between Wolf Form, Hide, and Misdirect (plus Feed and Dark Call) you can keep the trail very short and intermittent, and make it very hard to narrow down where you are if you're careful. If you're only in one or two land locations on the trail, and you spend the rest hiding, using powers, or sailing, you can make it VERY hard to work out where those locations are before they mature. This only rally works if they contain vamps though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cain M
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
I actually lost as Dracula the first time because the hunters all had either train tickets or horses and they managed to ask convene in the city I was in for battle.
I was two cities from maturing my last vampire and winning but I was also with 5 health and sadly chased too closely to be able to feed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.