Subject: Arkham Horror expansions: in what order were they published. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror sits in my top 3 games comfortably. And after 1.5 year I just added its first expansion to it. I want to experience this setting step by step and play these kind of games like reading a good book once a month ...

I got a new shrink wrapped Arkham Horror now.

So before I tackle the game, should my first few sessions just be played with the basic box of AH? (like I did with EH), or should I play immediately with one expansion ?

In what order were these expansions first launched ?

Tx for a reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic game should keep you busy for a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Arkham Horror expansions: in what order were tyey published.
Ben_Bos wrote:

So before I tackle the game, should my first few sessions just be played with the basic box of AH? (like I did with EH), or should I play immediately with one expansion ?
Yes, I would play the first session only with the base game. Arkham is a wonderful game but tends to be a little bit fiddly at times. And to make sure you get the basic concepts of moving, evading and the break down of a turn you should focus on the base game.
If you have the Dunwich Horror expansion available you might want to add the Injuries and Madness Conditions right from the beginning because they are a nice tweak without a big rule change.

Further boards from the big box expansions I would only add if you feel comfortable with the base game.

Quote:

In what order were these expansions first launched ?
Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
Dunwich Horror
The King in Yellow
Kingsport Horror
The Black Goat of the Woods
Innsmouth Horror
The Lurker at the Threshold
The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (Revised)
Miskatonic Horror

Where the bold ones are the big boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the madness! goo

Don't add any expansions right away. There's so much to learn and explore in the base game alone!

You should only add something when you are entirely familiar with all the little rules and feel like you've seen most of the base game. Which isn't going to be until you've played a whole bunch of games.
Even if you are fine with adding extra rules and components right away, it will take away from the experience if you add an expansion without being able to see what exactly it's bringing to the mix.

The order of the expansions:
(edit: ninja'd, of course...)

There's lots of threads here about which sets to add first (or together), btw. You don't necessarily have to play them in order.

Game on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
The overwhelming consensus over ten years of forums is that Dunwich Horror should be added first. The Injury and Madness cards improve the flow of the game a great deal, more then any other (modular) expansion element. In addition to the I&M cards, it contains an excellent mix of new investigators, encounters, and items.

Definitely the most bang for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the replies.

I'll dive into this in just a few days because the thematic nature of these FFG Lovecraft games is awesome in solo play or with the RIGHT players.

And I don't mind fiddle mechanics, actually I love them in my wargames too.

I will just follow the expansions as they were published ... one expansion per year or so ... LOL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clear up any confusion...

The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh was the first expansion. It as produced by a different design team than the base game, and there are a number of poorly worded cards. In addition, much of the expansion's content rarely comes into play.

FFG eventually revised the expansion, making Exhibit Items more accessible and smoothing out the problems with cards. They also made some changes to the text of spell cards.

There is really no reason to buy the original expansion. A few players liked some of the original spells better, but the revised edition is superior in every other way.

I still recommend Dunwich Horror as the first expansion, though. It has the Injury and Madness cards, which make play much smoother and more enjoyable, plus lots of content for every aspect of the game, and another board for when the base board becomes too easy (as it will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls