GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,248 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Recommended ages? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason why the recommended ages that is printed on almost every game is not part of the game information here on BGG?

Before finding BGG, I was keeping an Excel spreadsheet and would record all the "standard" information that is printed on every box together: Number of players, length of play and recommended age. I still use the spreadsheet (as a backup) and usually try to add information on newly purchased games from information on BGG, but I always have to wait for the game to arrive before getting the age information.

Just a curious question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess, because the "recommended age" is not a fact about the game, but depends on the publisher`s marketing strategy or whatever.

I think the people who get information here from the BGG, read reviews, look at the game`s "play weight" etc., can make up their own minds, wether a game is suitable for their kids or not.

So, I don`t miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with different kinds of kids` playing groups (school / youth centre) and my own 10-year old son is, that it makes almost no sense at all to recommend any age, except a two-staged short info: "pre-school" and "already in school"

I know some kids playing Chess and XiangQi at the age of seven. People are so different in their minds, mental development and interests - and adults still like a huge variety of different mechanics, themes, intellectual challenges, abstracts, wargamish, story-telling, action or party games, auction or dice-rolling ... it`s not a matter of age.

The average playtime or number of players are IMHO more useful hints. Wether a game will be played in 60 or in 480 minutes, (not recognizable by its theme or name) I want to know at first glance, the same with the fact, if it can be played with at least 3 up to 8 players or only for 2.

Don`t misunderstand me - I`m not against an age recommendation put in the database, I just tried to give an answer to the curious question in the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would also like to see the recommended age ranges on the BGG game pages. I often go to an on-line retailer's website just for this information. Wouldn't it be great if all the information on a game could be found here?
Of course the age ranges are not that accurate, but I do find this useful information when trying to find a good family game or one exclusively for the kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trojandoc wrote:
Of course the age ranges are not that accurate, but I do find this useful information when trying to find a good family game or one exclusively for the kids.

Maybe not quite what you want, but for kids games you can always search for games in the "Children's Game" category:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browser.php?itemtype=game&sortb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.