Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: The discard pile. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Boomsma
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
There are several cards that say "and then discard this card" or "or discard this card". For example the spell "Instill bravery", "if you did not roll any 4's discard this card." The item card "Whiskey" "You may discard this card to ... " The condition "Dept" says "Then discard this card." And the unique asset "Stone tablet" and "Stone chest" often say "Then discard this card." as well.

Now I've allways discarded item cards such a whiskey or bandages etc. But I hadn't done so with spells and other cards. I usually drop then back into the deck and shuffle when I draw a new card.

But now I'm wondering if that's okay. Can cards run out? There are 3 stone tablets and 3 stone chest cards. Most of them get discarded when used. Do they return to the game? Same goes for conditions, when we've discarded all dept cards, do they run out or should we look through the discard pile(s) and get all the dept cards, shuffle them and then return them to the game?

How do you guys do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alucardu wrote:
Now I've allways discarded item cards such a whiskey or bandages etc. But I hadn't done so with spells and other cards. I usually drop then back into the deck and shuffle when I draw a new card.

But now I'm wondering if that's okay. Can cards run out? There are 3 stone tablets and 3 stone chest cards. Most of them get discarded when used. Do they return to the game? Same goes for conditions, when we've discarded all dept cards, do they run out or should we look through the discard pile(s) and get all the dept cards, shuffle them and then return them to the game?

How do you guys do this?
I'm doing it by the rules:

Source: Reference Guide, "Discarding"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Boomsma
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
Great! Thanks for the info. Don't have the rulebook near me, but was wondering how it worked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reed
United States
Little Rock
AR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way I'm going to shuffle the spell or condition deck every time I discard one. What I do is pull from the bottom and discard to the top. That way I really don't know what the next injury condition is going to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gueuze wrote:
There is no way I'm going to shuffle the spell or condition deck every time I discard one. What I do is pull from the bottom and discard to the top. That way I really don't know what the next injury condition is going to be.
It seems to me that you are keeping all the conditions in a single deck. If only you can find space for that, then separating them by subtype will make your life a whole lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gueuze wrote:
It should sometimes happen that the next spell that is drawn is the one that you last discarded, though. With your method, that would never happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls