Popular Tags: [View All]
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I played the italian version.

Bach allows you to "change" a urban building into a theater by paying the cost of the new building in resources, correct?
Do you get a discount for the former building cost?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure there is something in the rulebook FAQ about this, but I don't have ot in front of me right now.
I don't know how it's written in the italian version but your usage of the word "change" suggests a slight mistranslation to me. In English Bach says it allows you to upgrade buildings into theaters. Following the usual upgrade rules, it seems clear that you pay the difference between the building costs rather than the full cost of the theater.
Less clear is what happens if the theater actually costs less than the original building as we never had a possibility of upgrading something into something that costs less. I'm pretty sure I read some clarification (probably in the rulebook FAQ) that says it costs nothing at that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bestia immonda
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Pretty sure there is something in the rulebook FAQ about this, but I don't have ot in front of me right now.
I don't know how it's written in the italian version but your usage of the word "change" suggests a slight mistranslation to me. In English Bach says it allows you to upgrade buildings into theaters. Following the usual upgrade rules, it seems clear that you pay the difference between the building costs rather than the full cost of the theater.
Less clear is what happens if the theater actually costs less than the original building as we never had a possibility of upgrading something into something that costs less. I'm pretty sure I read some clarification (probably in the rulebook FAQ) that says it costs nothing at that situation.

Yes, that is clearly my interpretation of the rules with a big question mark about the highlighted part. I'll delve into this in the FAQ asap.
Thanks for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Exactly right. If the building you're "upgrading" from costs more then your cost is zero. (Back page of rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Henry
United Kingdom
Wellington
West Midlands
flag msg tools
From the Appendix of the rules:

Quote:
Use the usual rules for upgrading (count the costs and pay the resources equal to the difference), except the two urban building technologies do not have to be of the same type and may be of the same level. If the building you are upgrading has same or higher cost than the theater you are upgrading to, the cost of the upgrade is 0 resources.
You are not allowed to exceed your urban building limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understand Bach, but I'm about to take him for the first time, so I want to make sure I grok how he works. I assume it's like this:

I still have to take a theater tech from the card row (and pay the associated civil-action cost). (Currently I have no theater techs at all in my game.) I still have to "discover" that theater tech (another civil action, plus a discounted science cost) to put it in my play area. Now that it's in my play area, I can pay to upgrade a temple, say, to my new theater, at the cost of the difference between the theater and temple. Is that right?

Presumably Bach makes this sideways upgrade more attractive than upgrading (say) a temple, by decreasing the cost of the theater and increasing its benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls