Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: French and Indian War history fan - Native Americans
hi

I've just received AH Little Round Top and I was surprised to see that the game comes in a small format (as specified on side of box: AH bookshelf gamette).

I find this format great for bringing it in short holiday weekends where you won't have much room in front of the fireplace and plan to play a game.

I knew about Atlantic Storm, but did Avalon Hill release other games with this gamette format? Please exclude the ASL gamettes which are not the same format.

Regards

Pascal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Molesworth
Australia
Maryborough
Victoria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cricket fanMicrobadge: Cat loverMicrobadge: Compass Games fanMicrobadge: Richmond Tigers fanMicrobadge: I love books!
I've seen 'Hundred Days Battle', 'Arcola: Battle for Italy',
and 'The Legend of Robin Hood' in the same small box format.

Charles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Motorcycle enthusiastMicrobadge: I play games while I drinkMicrobadge: Triumph & Tragedy - "No peace in our time"Microbadge: DoctorMicrobadge: Anarchist
Banzai, an expansion for Up Front, was released as a gamette, as seen in these images......

Board Game: Banzai

Board Game: Banzai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Napoleonic WargamerMicrobadge: Kevin Zucker fanMicrobadge: The Who fanMicrobadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Gardening
Not sure that game is gamette size. If it is the same as The General it would be about A4.

I have also seen 100 Days Battles and Napoleon In Italy in the gamette version and they were more like A5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AH/Victory Games also did four Bond gamettes in that tiny box size. Not sure if they all hit at the same time or what market segment they were chasing, or if they were just trying to save some $ on a game that could fit into that size box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Breakout: Normandy fanMicrobadge: Napoleon's Triumph fanMicrobadge: First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society memberMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Time of Crisis fan
The Legend of Robin Hood

Board Game: The Legend of Robin Hood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Laurel and Hardy fanMicrobadge: Cleveland Browns fanMicrobadge: Cleveland Indians fanMicrobadge: Cleveland Monsters fanMicrobadge: Yes fan
Also, Naval War

Board Game: Naval War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also, Venture
and Titan - the Arena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
B-17: Queen of the Skies

Board Game: B-17: Queen of the Skies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
So Near, So Far: Musings for Miles - Joe Henderson
badge
Bryant & May: Strange Tide - Christopher Fowler
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
B-17 was that size? Never owned it, but thought it came in a full sized box...

Another option for the O.P. would be the GDW Series 120 games, which were all pretty good and came in boxes that were only slightly larger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!Microbadge: My contribution was deemed PyuredeadbrilliantMicrobadge: GameChat League - Long Division Microbadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
Actually, you could be right. I think it just came in a thin box.

Come to think of it, the SL gamettes are also in that category. Full size box, just slim height.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: I play armored combat gamesMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: 13 Days fan

I can't really help you with Ah gamette titles, but Victory Point Games has at least a dozen or so wargames in boxed format that are roughly same size as an AH gamette. Not sure how easily you can get your hands on VPG stuff where you're at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fugitive fanMicrobadge: Whitehall Mystery fanMicrobadge: Little Wars centennial (1913-2013)Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: I love reading to my grandchildren
AlbertaClipper wrote:
Charles mentioned that in the first response to this thread. People shouldn't overlook it because it isn't a wargame; it's an addictive little game that does a great job of bringing the story to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Carl Barks fanMicrobadge: WargamerMicrobadge: East Tennessee State UniversityMicrobadge: Looney Tunes fan - Foghorn Leghorn

Cross of Iron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I Play Monster WarGamesMicrobadge: I have crafted Magic RealmMicrobadge: Ogre fanMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Twilight Imperium (fourth edition) fan
If memory serves me right, I think that they were all OSG games that were re-released by Avalon Hill. They never repeated the experiment and I have no idea if it was successful or not. Another vote for the GDW Series 120 games with the exception of 1942, which isn't very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: JournalistMicrobadge: The Dresden Files fanMicrobadge: Knights of the Dinner Table fanMicrobadge: Supernatural fan
Gladiator and Circus Maximus

Board Game: Gladiator
Board Game: Gladiator

Board Game: Circus Maximus
Board Game: Circus Maximus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal TOUPY
France
talence
Aquitaine
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: Great War Commander fanMicrobadge: MusicianMicrobadge: Up Front fanMicrobadge: French and Indian War history fan - Native Americans
thanks for your replies but some mentioned games don't qualify for the "AH bookshelf gamette" (Banzai/Circus maximus/Gladiator/Crescendo of Doom).

I've checked and the format of the box is international B5 which is half A4.

Thanks for the tips on Robin Hood and naval war, I'll try to get them in this format.

Thanks for the tips on the vpg games too, but I'm only looking for AH games, yes we like to play those oldies in the cabin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Smartass - 'Better Than Being a Dumbass'Microbadge: Pizza loverMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Cigarette smokerMicrobadge: I play both wargames and euros
Naval War is not a good game. It's very simple and brainless. Save your money for something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mirsik wrote:
If memory serves me right, I think that they were all OSG games that were re-released by Avalon Hill. They never repeated the experiment and I have no idea if it was successful or not. Another vote for the GDW Series 120 games with the exception of 1942, which isn't very good.
wow AH, since early OSG/GDW/Task Force/etc. were often 'packaged' within smaller zip-loc baggies, with even a smallish 1, if you were "lucky". cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
Microbadge: Aquarium ownerMicrobadge: University of ChicagoMicrobadge: Pinball fanMicrobadge: Philip K. Dick fanMicrobadge: This, Jen, is the Internet.
Check out this list:
Good Things in Small Packages--The Avalon Hill Bookshelf Gamettes

that was an old AH gamette list.

There was also a 3M gamette list which is where the idea came from:
The 3M Gamettes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I just took a couple of pictures to help with getting everybody on the same page. The first one shows 3 Avalon Hill boxes. Storm over Arnhem was the standard (for them) AH bookcase size. Circus Maximus was a thinner box, but still the same height and width. That's the size used for a number of suggestions here, e.g. the Squad Leader expansions and Banzai. Battle for Italy is one of the small boxes the O.P. asked about.

From gallery of Sphere

The second picture is a close-up comparing the AH small box with a GDW Series 120 box and a VPG box. The AH is smaller than the others, but not by much.

From gallery of Sphere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'll add another picture to the mix. The games on the left are all labeled "gamettes." The games on the right are not.

From gallery of Crito

The confusion is caused by Avalon Hill's use of the "gamette" label in two different ways. On some games, it meant not a full game, but an expansion for an existing game. This applies to Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, and Banzai, which were in the "semi-bookcase" boxes, and even G.I. Anvil of Victory (shown below in someone else's photo), which was in a standard bookcase box.

On other games, "gamette" meant a full game in a very small box. This applies to Naval War, Robin Hood, and several others mentioned above, like Sphere's Battle for Italy.

On the right, Enemy in Sight, Mystic Wood, and Decathlon, are in the semi-bookcase boxes, but they are not labeled "gamettes." A semi-bookcase box alone was not enough for the label.

I also included the James Bond game, which was mentioned above. As seen in the photo, it's in a standard bookcase box. The other VG James Bond products were RPG supplements, and those appear to be in semi-bookcase boxes [oops -- not all of them; some were board games, not RPG supplements -- see the correction below by John Ellsworth].

Bottom line: "gamette" meant either (1) an expansion in a semi- or standard bookcase box or (2) a full game in a very small box.

Board Game: G.I. Anvil of Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Britannia fanMicrobadge: Age of Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Vicky the Viking fanMicrobadge: Baltimore Ravens fanMicrobadge: Avalon Hill fan
And, if you are a collector or simply want more info about AH games, please visit my BGG profile, where you can download the ultimate and complete list of games produced by Avalon Hill and Victory Games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellsworth
United States
Morris
Illinois
flag msg tools
AH published a number of games in this format. I have the following:
Little Round Top
Hundred Days Battles
Battle for Italy
Naval War
Legend of Robin Hood
Dilemmas
The Game of Inventions
Od
Venture
Sleuth

In addition, four James Bond games were published under the Victory Games banner in this format. These were board games, not related to the role playing series that VG also published.
Live and Let Die
Goldfinger
The Man with the Golden Gun
You Only Live Twice

A slightly larger format (definitely thicker, maybe a little wider as well) was used for a couple of titles:
Titan: The Arena
Atlantic Storm

Roberto, I noticed that your excellent list does contain one small error. Nieuchess was originally published by AH and used red and blue pawns on a hex-based board. It also used the old "standard" AH Combat Results Table. Neo Chess was a completely different game originally published by 3M. It used a chessboard and circular, two-sided chess pieces. I don't think an AH edition was ever released, unlike many of the other 3M titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
Microbadge: Premier League fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fan - "You'll Never Walk Alone"Microbadge: UEFA Champions League fanMicrobadge: Liverpool fanMicrobadge: Los Angeles Dodgers fan
msjells wrote:
AH published a number of games in this format. I have the following:

Sleuth
I've never seen Sleuth in an AH Gamette format. My copy is the 1" Bookcase Box (8-1/2" x 11" x 1"). Might you have a photo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |