Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Kickstarter for Scythe there was a lot of people requesting versions of the Scythe Automa that allowed it to be used with multiple human players and/or with multiple Automas. Some wanted to play coop others wanted extra players in a competitive game.

Initially the Automa system was actually designed so that this was possible in principle and the first versions had you playing alone against two Automas. It was clear to us, however that the amount of work involved in getting that playtested and balanced without compromising the solo experience would be too high, so we decided to leave this out and stopped making allowances for this in the work we did after that.

What this means is that it won’t require much in the way of changes to play with any combination of human and Automa players, so I’ve written down a suggestion for what changes to make.

Please note that this is untested and no work has been done on balancing this. Also note that we went from playing solo against 2 Automas to playing against 1 Automa, for a very good reason: We felt that it took to much of the player’s time to run 2 Automas, so we don’t recommend having more Automas than humans unless you don’t mind the bookkeeping involved in running the Automas.

User LunarSoundDesign has been so kind as to turn the below into a more nicely formatted and more printer friendly Word document. It can be found here.

PnP files

The PnP files for the game currently resides here.

Unless otherwise noted the Automas are treated like human players, e.g. each Automa takes its place in the turn order, has its own units, places its own stars etc.

Competitive, semi-coop, or full-coop

The Scythe Automa rulebook use the term “enemy” many times. In a 1-on-1 game it’s clear who that refers to, but with more players you can choose one of these two meanings for the term:

1 Any other player whether human or Automa.
2 Any human player.

Use 1 if you want to play a competitive game like the normal multiplayer game.

Use 2 if you want to play full-coop or semi-coop. In semi-coop the winner is determined as normal, but you can play it in a more friendly manner by having the humans mainly or only fighting the Automas.

In full-coop you calculate the average score of all human players and the average score of all Automa players. The humans win or lose as a team based on whether their average is higher or lower than the average score of the Automas.

Referring Automa units

A lot of the Scythe Automa rules refer to Automa units. When playing with multiple Automas you should interpret this as referring only to the units of the Automa that’s currently active. E.g. when the Move Worker rule states that the destination hex is the “valid hex that is in the neighborhood of the most Automa units [...]”, then you should only consider the Automa units belonging to the Automa that’s performing the move action.

Setup

Follow the setup instructions in the main rulebook for the human players and do the setup steps in the Automa rulebook for each Automa (e.g. they each get their own faction mat and units).

If you play with multiple Automas, then it’s easier to manage if they’re all the same difficulty level, but they don’t need to be that. If you have multiple Automas with the same difficulty level, they’ll each have a marker on the star tracker (you can print out additional trackers instead if you want to).

Ideally, you’ll have a deck of Automa cards per Automa. You can make do with only one deck, but it will make the game much more swingy and Jonathan Nagy has made a web implementation of the Scythe Automa deck. You can run multiple instances simultaneously by using multiple tabs.

Turn order and Automa cards

Take turns like you would in the multiplayer game, with the Automas each taking their turn as a separate player.

If you have enough decks of Automa cards then let each draw from a separate deck. If not then all Automas draw from the same deck, but they still get separate cards. With just one deck you’ll have to reshuffle more frequently and you can have bigger variations in how the Automas plays.

Recruit bonuses

Your ongoing recruit bonuses are only triggered by card draws of Automas that are actually neighboring you, just like if it was a multiplayer game with only human players.

The star tracker cards and phases

As mentioned above, each Automa will have its own marker on a star tracker card. The marker of each Automa is moved forward independently of that of the other Automas, based solely on the Automa cards drawn during its own turn.

The Automas will score stars independently and start using Scheme 2 independently of each other.

Combat

If combat happens between two Automas then each draw their own Automa card to determine the amount of power and combat cards used. The winner is determined as normal, but no resources are placed as a result of the combat.

If you conquer a territory owned by an Automa then how many resources are placed on the hex depend on whether you use one Automa deck per Automa:

If you have one deck per Automa then place resources equal to the number of resources on the last Automa card used by that Automa that wasn’t used for combat.
If you only have one Automa deck then place resources equal to the number of resources on the last Automa card used by any Automa that wasn’t used for combat.

If you try this variant out I’d love to hear about it. The same goes if you spot something I’ve missed in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morten,

This looks and quite comprehensive.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Morten,

This looks and quite comprehensive.

Cheers,
Joe

Thanks, i hope it's fun to play .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
* J *
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Morten, can't wait to try this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Mayol
United Kingdom
Blandford Forum
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You still can diferenciate how many resources you get from each automata despite having only one deck.
Simply have a different discard pile for each automata (and a single one for all the combat cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mormegil_khorne wrote:
You still can diferenciate how many resources you get from each automata despite having only one deck.
Simply have a different discard pile for each automata (and a single one for all the combat cards).

Yes, you can definitely do that, but it's a bit more fiddly, especially when you have to reshuffle the deck. Therefore I chose to have them all use the same card, but this is a matter of personal preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try this variant with one deck per Automa, then you can find a file with the cards here: https://app.box.com/s/88t3dscldkktpsztz6sbi3jkvwetowjk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Stonemier Games have any plan to sell Automa decks separately?

If not I might have to start up a request, people did that to get Tuscany Essential

If there is a market for it I bet Jamey will do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
Does Stonemier Games have any plan to sell Automa decks separately?

We've talked about putting some on the BGG store, but whether that will happen, I don't know.

Mick_whyte wrote:
If not I might have to start up a request, people did that to get Tuscany Essential

If there is a market for it I bet Jamey will do it

Yes, if enough people want it, I'm sure Jamey will do it (here's the request form). To be honest, though, I'm not sure there's enough demand for it to support a print run size that doesn't make it hideously expensive - that said I don't know how the price works out for printing a small number of cards that have been printed before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Leedham
Australia
Croydon Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
Except that one time I played a rose...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be additional Automa cards with the expansion to include faction specific actions for the two new factions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManicD wrote:
Will there be additional Automa cards with the expansion to include faction specific actions for the two new factions?

Yes, we're adding four cards that replace four cards from the base game Automa deck. There are also a few extra Automa rules to handle the new factions, since they introduce a new mechanic to the game, which the Automa needs to support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've formatted this a little better and put it in a word/pdf document. If anyone wants it I can upload it. If here is anything to add let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I've formatted this a little better and put it in a word/pdf document. If anyone wants it I can upload it. If here is anything to add let me know.

Awesome. Thank you. Please upload it and let me know, then I'll link to it from the top of my OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Any luck with uploading this? I'm working on printing cards to try 2 Automas myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Any luck with uploading this? I'm working on printing cards to try 2 Automas myself.

It's been uploaded a while now.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/134239/automa-multi-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Thanks! I converted it to PDF. Do you mind if I (or you) upload a PDF version that we can link from the OP of this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Awesome, thanks. I've added it to my OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morten,
I've played two games now solo vs 2 Automas, each with their own deck, and I think it works great. It doesn't happen often, but I love to see them fight each other.

One of these days I would like to try a co-op 2v2 game. I think that will work equally as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Morten,
I've played two games now solo vs 2 Automas, each with their own deck, and I think it works great. It doesn't happen often, but I love to see them fight each other.

One of these days I would like to try a co-op 2v2 game. I think that will work equally as well.

Great, I'm very happy to hear that. I'd very much like to hear how it works in 2v2. I have very little online time currently, so it'll take me some time to respond if you post about it. That's just to say that it isn't me ignoring you, but me being AFK .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
and Solo Playtester too ^^
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The automa deck no longer seems to be available to the provided link - just the rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
The automa deck no longer seems to be available to the provided link - just the rules...

The cards come with the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mogust wrote:

I was hoping to have a go at playing with 2 automa, as has been suggested here and on the SGOYT lists, but without the PnP files that would be a lot more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mogust wrote:

I was hoping to have a go at playing with 2 automa, as has been suggested here and on the SGOYT lists, but without the PnP files that would be a lot more difficult.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124312/scythe-automa-pnp-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

I had seen those ones, but that link also liked back to the official dropbox account where there original PnP files were meant to be and recommended their use over that file. They will do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
mogust wrote:
Thanks.

I had seen those ones, but that link also liked back to the official dropbox account where there original PnP files were meant to be and recommended their use over that file. They will do fine.

Hi Israel,
The PnP Automa cards have been removed from the Box. Stonemaier Games will be selling individual Automa decks in September for those who are interested in trying their hands against multiple Automas. In the meanwhile, you are welcome to print out copies of the user-created cards for your own use.
Cheers, David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |