Subject: Chance for a German version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Guinea Pig loverMicrobadge: Roger Federer fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!
As is evident from my numerous posts on this forum, I really love Epic. Sadly, it is almost totally unknown here in Germany right now. I will probably write a review for a German website to try to help that out a bit , but of course a localized version would help the game a lot more. Is there any hope for a German release of Epic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Yucata.de playerMicrobadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: One with EverythingMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Far Side fan
Probably not. I think if they would make a German version, it would be of Star Realms first, because of the massive success it's had. I like Epic a lot, but I don't think it'll have the same mass appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Game of ThronesMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) RPG fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
well i've wrote with the makers on facebook and got this answer:

Most likely yes, we partner with a distributor Blackfire.eu who sell German translations of Star Realms.

and btw: a german version of Star Realms already exists :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Guinea Pig loverMicrobadge: Roger Federer fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: I am a Terra Mystica fan!
I agree with you, but as far as I know, there already is a German version of Star Realms. It didn't really seem to make much of an impression on the German-speaking market, though.

EDIT: ninja'd by Heiko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!Microbadge: Game of ThronesMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) RPG fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fan
Trantor42 wrote:
I agree with you, but as far as I know, there already is a German version of Star Realms. It didn't really seem to make much of an impression on the German-speaking market, though.

EDIT: ninja'd by Heiko.
:-P i'm franconian...we are the bavarian ninjas

well it is comming from a "not so well known" publisher. I guess when Heidelberger or pegasus whould do this the "impact" would be bigger.

Nevertheless everyone i played Star Realms was quite impressed hope this continues with EPIC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Yucata.de playerMicrobadge: Dixit fanMicrobadge: One with EverythingMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Far Side fan
Zanji wrote:
well i've wrote with the makers on facebook and got this answer:

Most likely yes, we partner with a distributor Blackfire.eu who sell German translations of Star Realms.

and btw: a german version of Star Realms already exists :-D
Really? I wasn't aware of that...

In that case, never mind my useless comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mottainai fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Seasons fanMicrobadge: AS Roma fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fan
emptyset wrote:
I like Epic a lot, but I don't think it'll have the same mass appeal.
Sadly true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Siewert
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Coffee addictMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Rock Music fanMicrobadge: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Mod_XXII wrote:
Sadly true.
Why?

The fantasy setting could be a more attractive one than "science-fiction" star realms. The german market for Magic: the Gathering was (and is) the biggest next to the english cards.
Lots of Magic players (and former Magic players!) are target group for Epic - this should be a true impact for a german version.

As far as i know the german Version for Star Realms sells well.
A fantasy product in the same way - which epic is - should also sell well an could even have a bigger audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Eclipse fanMicrobadge: The 7th Continent fanMicrobadge: BattleCON: War of Indines fanMicrobadge: War of the Ring fanMicrobadge: Emacs user - it's a way of life...
Carabor wrote:
Mod_XXII wrote:
Sadly true.
Why?

The fantasy setting could be a more attractive one than "science-fiction" star realms. The german market for Magic: the Gathering was (and is) the biggest next to the english cards.
Lots of Magic players (and former Magic players!) are target group for Epic - this should be a true impact for a german version.

A fantasy product in the same way - which epic is - should also sell well an could even have a bigger audience.
In terms of theme, you may be right. Fantasy sells quite well. However, the target group for Epic is radically different than that of Star Realms. Star Realms is certainly lighter in gameplay, the rules fit on a single sheet of paper. So much so that people I've played with claimed they could play Star Realms on autopilot. Depending on how you play it, Star Realms is quite the light filler/family friendly game.

I don't agree that Epic is "a fantasy product in the same way" as Star Realms. Epic's much more involved gameplay and ruleset appeal to the same crowd that loves MtG. And MtG has worked for years at saturating the market for this crowd. So after all, the audience for Epic might indeed be much smaller (look at about every "well-selling" (as in: you can get it at Karstadt or Kaufhof) game of the past 10 years... they're pretty much all from the Star Realms/family friendly camp. And they reach a BIG crowd.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Mottainai fanMicrobadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Seasons fanMicrobadge: AS Roma fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fan
Carabor wrote:

SR is a more accessible game. Epic needs more time to master, you have to know the cards and the keywords.

I don't see Epic to be an huge success like SR.

I like Epic a LOT better than SR, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Shamelessly looking for a citizenship star!
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Far Side fanMicrobadge: I'm a Park Ranger - I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Too Many Bones fan
Mod_XXII wrote:
emptyset wrote:
Sadly true.
I know this is off topic of the OP, but isn't that just the way it goes? I LOVE star realms, but I find it very simple, if not basic, when compared to Epic. Epic shows far more depth and strategy than Star Realms. Not everyone will agree, but in general I feel this is very true. The rules, game play, and overall feel of Star Realms is very light. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Realms. Frankly, it's Star Realms that made me happily back Epic. On kickstarter Epic looked more like my kind of game. And Star Realms was an exceptionally clean, refined, and quite amazing. Especially when you consider that this was really a game from a new company.

Thankfully, for me, Epic lived up to my expectations. And yeah, I'm shocked. I didn't think any game could give me what Epic does. The feel and play style of Magic without needing to get a second job to play the game. And actually, I like Epic better. I'm probbably the most surprised guy out there. Everything I like about Magic is present - and everything I disliked about Magic is missing.

So why then is Star Realms proably going to remain king for the forseeable future? I think Eddie Felson said it best, "checkers sells better than chess."

Which game is "better" is a matter of perspective. Star Realms is much easier to grasp on just about all points than Epic. As such, by design, the game is more accessible and has a wider player base. ...If you guage success by sales then Star Realms is better. And lets face it, the ability to generate money is a powerful force in the gaming world.

I do feel though that Star Realms either needs a serious new expansion to stop it from dying on the vine. Adding more cards seems to bloat the game at this point. Maybe a new starter set? Even then it's the same game with different cards. There really isn't a lot of variety, relatively speaking, in Star Realms. ...Again, this is probably partially responsible for it's success more than it is a problem. How Star Realms is handled from hereon out will play a large part in it's continued success.

Epic on the other hand, like Magic, seems to only benefit tremendously from new cards. This allows the constructed deck format to truly become more varied and have a life of it's own. With the addition of new cards I can see constructed deck being the format of choice over draft.

In any case, I'm a fan of both games. I'm a huge fan of White Wizard Games. Star Realms was followed (almost impossibly) by another great game, "Epic." As a company they maintain a presence on BGG and do their best to answer questions and have an overall transparent image. We know the faces of the creators and designers. They really seem to give the consumers what they want.

I'm excited to see what Star Realms and Epic, and more importantly "White Wizard Games" does next.

And to the OP, with the continued success of these games I can only imagine a translation to other languages is imminent. I sure hope so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Thonotosassa
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Shamelessly looking for a citizenship star!
Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner KniziaMicrobadge: Far Side fanMicrobadge: I'm a Park Ranger - I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Too Many Bones fan
regarding sales though, I think a lot of Epic players are buying more than one deck. I don't know any of my Star Realms friends who bought more than one deck. ...So, who knows where the sales really are. Well, WWG knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magini
Italy
flag msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
Mod_XXII wrote:
emptyset wrote:
Sadly true.
I know this is off topic of the OP, but isn't that just the way it goes? I LOVE star realms, but I find it very simple, if not basic, when compared to Epic. Epic shows far more depth and strategy than Star Realms. Not everyone will agree, but in general I feel this is very true. The rules, game play, and overall feel of Star Realms is very light. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Realms. Frankly, it's Star Realms that made me happily back Epic. On kickstarter Epic looked more like my kind of game. And Star Realms was an exceptionally clean, refined, and quite amazing. Especially when you consider that this was really a game from a new company.
I meant: "it's sadly" that many people will not (based on what I am reading online. First complaint: "it's NOT like Star Realms") love Epic as much as Star Realms. But not because I love the mass success game but because Epic deserves it.

I like Star Realms as well, but I think Epic is a far better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Descent: Road to Legend fanMicrobadge: Non smokerMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
I think marketing could really help the game - especially if there are German/French/Spanish versions that will target new audiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I do feel though that Star Realms either needs a serious new expansion to stop it from dying on the vine. Adding more cards seems to bloat the game at this point. Maybe a new starter set? Even then it's the same game with different cards. There really isn't a lot of variety, relatively speaking, in Star Realms. ...Again, this is probably partially responsible for it's success more than it is a problem. How Star Realms is handled from hereon out will play a large part in it's continued success.
Colony Wars for Star Realms players - first impressions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Davis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Epic fanMicrobadge: Hero Realms fan
I can't announce anything.

Yet.

- Nathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
One year later, I am necro-ing this thread. I was watching the World Championship coverage and heard the announcement that Epic will be released in different languages in 2017, I think that Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian were mentioned. That's great and I am glad that Epic will be exposed to a more global audience, but sadly, that still leaves out German, so I suppose there is nothing on the horizon here?

The game is still virtually unknown here in Germany which makes me very sad. I still think it is terrific, but few people have heard of it, and of those who I get interested in trying it, many are intimidated by its rather complex card texts. I could even offer help with translating; as a Magic player of 19 years and real-life editor of schoolbooks, I know about the importance of templating and consistency.

So, are there still any chances of a German version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S
Germany
flag msg tools
Even more time has passed, so I would like to ask the question again. Any chance for a german version? I would clearly buy that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Wachta
Poland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I speak EnglishMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Android userMicrobadge: Xbox One X fan
Well, there are plans to release Polish version, so I don't see the reason why there wouldn't be a hope for the German version.

I'm so hyped for this game! I hope it will be more and more popular around the world(translation to other languages will definitely help), so WWG will not have a choice and they'll have to support EPIC for many many years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls