Hide
6 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Running era appropriate fleets for Balance of Terror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hare
msg tools
Ok, I already won a USS Intrepid, but have another tournament I can go to. I want to actually run an era appropriate fleet. Trick is, nobody else will. The format is the 50SP/3Ship and no limits on cross faction. The one odd thing is that there are no resources allowed in the normal build, but you get to use the current month's for free (Sabotage).

So, I will conceivably face spheres, Desoto Voyagers, squadron carrier fleets, Scimitars, etc. I don't expect to win, but I want to see how well I can do with an era pure (ENT/TOS only) fleet. Assume I have everything available.

List Name

ISS Enterprise (22)
Mr. Spock (5)
Tantalus Field (6)
Hikari Sulu (4)
Ship SP: 37

ISS Avenger (16)
Enhanced Hull Plating (4)
Ship SP: 20

Prototype 01 (24)
Gareb(Liviana) (1)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Ship SP: 31

Total Build SP: 88

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Prototype 01 with cloaked mines seems to be a guaranteed include. ISS Avenger and ISS Enterprise can both functionally get a 4PAV, so they seemed logical. I'm trying to figure out what to do for the 4th and who to put on the Avenger. Sopek/Bukah could be kind of fun.

Any thoughts or build suggestions from the horde?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm...interesting idea! Kinda want to run home and start looking through all my cards now.

You could add the NX Enterprise with Hull Plating. Then you'd have 3 very slippery, hard to kill ships that hopefully draw fire away from Enterprise.

Soval is also an option since he can remove an opponent's battlestations. And when ships are throwing 6+ an attack, removing that quality can keep a TOS ship alive.

Looking at strategy, with just these 3 ships, my first idea would be lay mines and send Prototype and Avenger into Range 1 in front of the mines so they're throwing 4 attack. (NX as well if we're going with that idea.) Park Enterprise well behind the mines at Range 2 or 3, and just keep moving back and forth as sort of a floating gun turret that hopefully doesn't get shot at. There's also gotta be a useful non-torpedo weapon to buff up Enterprise. Maybe put aft weapon on Avenger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Prototype with mines was an absolute include. I can run that at 30/31SP and know I will get my points worth.

If I want enterprise to live long, I need to pull Tantalus Field off of it. People are too worried about losing their own captains (justifiably) to let it get that off even once. Turn 1 of shooting is use Spock/Sulu for TL/BS/Evade while using cloaked mines as some extra defense. Second turn is move forward and try to get off Tantalus field.

I wasn't sure about the NX-01. It is slippery, but lacks any decent offense. I considered:
S'Gorn
Gorn commander
Improved Deflector Screens.
29SP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We ran ours as era pure. The eventual winner ran 6 Romulan Birds of Prey, 4 with cloaked mines and a gorn raider with a fleet captained somebody. It was kinda brutal. I managed to kill a ship per turn with my mirror enterprise, tinyprise, romulan drone, sgorn, gornarus list, but I still couldn't hold up to all the cloaked mines + sustained fire from 7 ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric W.
msg tools
you need to run the gal gath'thong, go episode pure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
EricTheRedCanada wrote:
you need to run the gal gath'thong, go episode pure!

Yeah, probably. Maybe put Valdore6, Plasma Torps, and Advanced cloak on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.