Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
In our games of Machi Koro (we also use the Harbour and have been using MR, though I'm thinking of taking that out), it seems that we would always get a lot of purple in the buying area early, slowing the game down. Everything would be expensive, so it took a while for the game to get going.

We played the other night and it happened again, so on the spur of the moment, I made a house rule to try and fix it. As soon as there are 4 purple stacks in the buying area, the whole buying area gets cleared out and 10 new stacks placed. (Kind of like the 3 wild trains in Ticket to Ride)

This seemed to reintroduce lower cost items to the buying area and made the game more enjoyable (for us anyways) as people could actually buy things and buy what they wanted, without the potential long times between. It also allows it so I don't have to split stacks or anything, keeping the randomness of the buying area intact.

I'm sure this throws off balance somewhere, but we generally don't use the purple cards much anyways so it seemed ot work pretty well. This was also with the family, so maybe not he best variant if it's all more seasoned gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the 4-4-2 variant fix this and be less fiddly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: My Game CollectionMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
ayejae wrote:
I would think that constantly sorting the cards into piles would be more fiddly than wiping when four purples are out.

My problem with the four pile wiping is there are a couple of purples I try to buy when playing with certain people. "You have a lot of red cards? I have the Publisher!" I would hate for it to show up and cause the wipe when I was looking for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Baird
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:

I would think that constantly sorting the cards into piles would be more fiddly than wiping when four purples are out.

My problem with the four pile wiping is there are a couple of purples I try to buy when playing with certain people. "You have a lot of red cards? I have the Publisher!" I would hate for it to show up and cause the wipe when I was looking for it.
Maybe the fourth purple is the first "seed" purple for the next set of ten. Just get nine more stacks going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Cooperative? This is Sparta!Microbadge: 1 Player Guild - Together We Game AloneMicrobadge: Competitive Gamer - I play to win!Microbadge: Level 13 BGG poster
Bobby4th wrote:
ayejae wrote:

Yah, it's not a perfect solution, but it was a spur of the moment thing and worked well for our particular group.

Maybe introduce an option instead of automatically wiping once the 4th purple is out is to then allow someone to pay some amount of coins to the bank to do it on their turn.

I probably wouldn't use this playing with other gamers, but with the family, it works well enough,.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: My Game CollectionMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed Games
I like mrbaird's option for it.

We've been playing with flipping 15 cards instead of 10 when playing with both expansions and I don't use the game store purple card. I also don't mix in the extras for five players since I wouldn't play with more than four anyway. If I am not in a rush when setting up and we are playing with three, I will pull one of each purple from the stacks so we only see three of each during the game, even if no one is buying any it will reduce the number of them that will show up during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls