Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What non CDG wargames play similar competitively with another mechanic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I mostly know wargames through GMT and I'm only remotely familiar with games released from other publishers.

I like the strategic ( or is it operational) level CDG'S from GMT, mostly what I like is a thematic and competitive 2 player game, something balanced, tense and not overly simulation oriented (not to much chrome, only the things that really affect strategy).

For some reason the CDG's seem to work for me in this way, not sure what it is. Maybe they are a bit simpler and a little bit more abstract or something, and while I'm mostly interested in strategy level games I also really like Commands & Colors: Ancients that also shares this card driven mechanic.

So I know of (and really want) Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and a few other CDG wargames that are non GMT. Are there any wargames out there that are not CDG but feel similar?

I'm not interested in minute details or unbalanced for the sake of history type of games. I like something tense and competitive set in a historical theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-CDG games you may like are the 'No Retreat' series of games GMT/VPG publish them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Non-CDG games you may like are the 'No Retreat' series of games GMT/VPG publish them.
Definitely heard good things about this game, how do the secondary games compare, North Africa for example?

I remember seeing cards with events in the game but I guess that is not the engine that drives the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

I remember seeing cards with events in the game but I guess that is not the engine that drives the game.
Indeed. In fact for the First NR! game it was at first tested without any cards. I even made a small add-on rule where you could play the game without the cards (but it,s certainly not as fun).

For the two other games the cards are more "integrated" with the system, but these are definitely NOT CDG wargames. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

Indeed. In fact for the First NR! game it was at first tested without any cards. I even made a small add-on rule where you could play the game without the cards (but it,s certainly not as fun).

For the two other games the cards are more "integrated" with the system, but these are definitely NOT CDG wargames. meeple
Though they probably are if CCA is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:

So I know of (and really want) Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and a few other CDG wargames that are non GMT. Are there any wargames out there that are not CDG but feel similar?
The Civil War is essentially a CDG before CDG's were invented. The game doesn't use cards but within turns there are impulses (card plays) and the ops points are determined by a die differential between both players. Every impulse both players roll 2D6 and the difference is the number of OPs they winner can spend to bring on reinforcements, build forts or move soldiers, and then the loser spends the same number of points. A tied die roll could possibly end the turn.

The mechanics are similar but the trade off is in TCW you don't get the historical flavor of the card pictures and text or the deep deck management found in something like Paths of Glory, but it more than makes up for it in the tension of not knowing how many ops you'll get to spend a given turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge:
You might check out the current Kickstarter for ONUS! Rome Vs Carthage. It seems to have a unique card mechanism where orders and events are represented on the same card, and one must choose which effect to use it for. Couple that with being a miniatures-style game without the miniatures, and I think it's worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
Microbadge: "I'm givin' her all I can, Captain!" - Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott (Scotty)Microbadge: Fascinating!Microbadge: "I'm a doctor, not a . . ." - Dr. Leonard McCoyMicrobadge: "The name of the game is called, uh... fizzbin." - Captain James T. KirkMicrobadge: "Oh, but they do give us something, Mr. Spock. They give us love." - Lt. Nyota Uhura (in The Trouble with Tribbles)
It might be worth your while to check out the Fast Action Battles Series (FAB). I feel like they're around the same detail level as most GMT card-driven games; well-balanced and tense for sure; with some uncertainty about your opponent's capabilities and even your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Columbia block games are strategic, or at least operational. Many of them, for example Hammer of the Scots and Julius Caesar use cards for activation (think of them like Ops in CDGs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
... I like something tense and competitive set in a historical theme.
Area-Impulse games like those listed below have a tense, interactive sequence of play which for me has something of a similar "feel" to CDGs.

I have played and liked the first three I have listed, but some and maybe all three are out of print.

The others are more recent games using a similar concept which I have not played yet.

Oldies but goodies:

Storm over Arnhem

Breakout: Normandy

Turning Point: Stalingrad

Current generation:

Circle of Fire: The Siege of Cholm, 1942

Kawaguchi's Gamble: Edson's Ridge

Storm Over Dien Bien Phu

Storm Over Normandy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Breakout: Normandy. It really feels like a CDG without cards. It's also available from L2 for $40.

Jesse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - only looking for land warfare, or naval/air ok too?

2 - any restrictions on length of time or density of rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls