Subject: Drawing at the start of a turn as opposed to the end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: 5 Games for Doomsday fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Duke fanMicrobadge: Tak fan
I played last night with my wife, she was constantly frustrated that she could only draw at the start of her turn as she felt it slowed the flow iof the game down as she didn't get to pre-plan. In truth I couldn't really see any reason not to draw at the end (it was also my first game)

In the end we just house-ruled it in and played that way, and it worked fine - am I missing something here though?

(As an aside, it wasn't fantastic with two, hoping it gets better with three or four - love the idea of the game, so fingers crossed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
RichMulholland wrote:
I played last night with my wife, she was constantly frustrated that she could only draw at the start of her turn as she felt it slowed the flow iof the game down as she didn't get to pre-plan. In truth I couldn't really see any reason not to draw at the end (it was also my first game)

In the end we just house-ruled it in and played that way, and it worked fine - am I missing something here though?

(As an aside, it wasn't fantastic with two, hoping it gets better with three or four - love the idea of the game, so fingers crossed).
I think it will mess with the deck distribution.

What happens if you can't draw enough cards back to hand because some of them are still in the Skirmish phase - awaiting that phase to be resolved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Stonemaier ChampionMicrobadge: 5 Games for Doomsday fanMicrobadge: Arkham Horror: The Card Game fanMicrobadge: The Duke fanMicrobadge: Tak fan
That could make sense, thanks. But it's easy to see, so I guess, we'll continue playing with the house rule, but if you can't draw all 5, just wait until you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that your discards and used cards from this round are not sent to the actual Discard Pile until after the Skirmish is finished!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Also a rule I'm not sure I really get. This just means there's more to manage, it's harder to hide cards you dig for, and what possible purpose is there for this regardless? It just seems messy,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichMulholland wrote:
Also a rule I'm not sure I really get. This just means there's more to manage, it's harder to hide cards you dig for, and what possible purpose is there for this regardless? It just seems messy,
Well you only need to hide cards you dig for from the other player. So you can simply place them face down, or beneath a card used to dig. Say a shovel card. No big deal.

As for keeping the cards you used this turn from the 'main' discard pile. I believe it stops the possibility of re-drawing the 'same' card(s) you used this round if you ever needed to draw from the deck during the Scavenge phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Again, you make good sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about the last part of the OP's comment: I do believe you will like it better with four. I have played it with two and with four and four was a lot more fun. Plus, we really didn't know who the winner was until we sorted everything out in the end. I won once when I clearly thought I was in third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert K Gabhart
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
RichMulholland wrote:

Another common problem is people draw too early and then try and use a Sniper Team, medic, or similar card to interact in what is actually the "previous" hand of cards with their "next" hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules of a game are written a certain way for a purpose. unless you can demonstrate that they are broken and need to be altered in order to make the game playable, don't mess with them. even rules that seem innocuous and trivial, when "house-ruled" often radically alter the game play.

from what i've seen of this particular game, there are no decisions that are so vital or important that they require additional planning time beyond the time that one has in his/her normal turn. it's a deckbuilder, for crying out loud with a stated time investment of 30 to 60 minutes for a game. how much pre-planning can you need?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I think this issue generally arises with people who have played Dominion or similar, and are therefore used to drawing their next hand immediately. It can be quite difficult to stop them doing what has become an instinctive action It is important in this game though, for the reasons Robert mentioned: that hands from different rounds can get mixed up when interacting with other player's turns (something that doesn't happen in Dominion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Why are you being a dick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Catley
United Kingdom
Hull
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I am completely mystified why you would think that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Mulholland
South Africa
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
Sorry, my bad. Not you, the guy above you. Confrontational for no real reason. I asked a question, that's what these forums are for.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. Merry Xmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichMulholland wrote:
Why are you being a dick?
Simply responding with my opinion to a public post on a public forum. If you're too sensitive to handle a bit of criticism, then you probably shouldn't be posting publicly on a public forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
designer
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Also remember that your discards and used cards from this round are not sent to the actual Discard Pile until after the Skirmish is finished!
The rules seem to be a little unclear in their writing on this.

On page 4, Playing the Game / Drawing Phase,
Under point 1) it says "Discard all cards from the previous round";

but in the Sample Round Walkthrough, page 13;
it states that cards used during the round are all placed in the discard pile before the cards that will saved by that player as their Skirmish Team are chosen and placed face down.

eg. (on pg 13) "She clears the playing surface, taking the refugee and shovel cards and placing them in her discard pile. She then announces that three cards are being used for the skirmish - and places them face down on the table."

So I'm taking it that the cards discarded at the beginning of the draw phase must be just the ones all players have used in the previous round's skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls