Subject: Opinions on Asylum's story (spoilers for Asylum) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
So we played through Asylum this weekend, two of us, three runs, 3.5 hours. We loved it, will be buying expansions and playing more.

But all the positive reviews are very heavy on how great the story and mystery is, and well... is it?

Essentially our experience was ending up in this asylum, chatting to a few people and following some leads about people gone missing, until being directed to the doctor's office, where we beat him up and discovered he was collecting patients for some strange ritual. And that there was a monster in the greenhouse.

In our second run we mostly danced around a plunger, visited a bunch of places which filled in a little back story (the nurse had a thing with the doctor, the kitchen staff hate us, the previous missing people had been used in that ritual) and found the final pentacle.

Last run we gathered up the pentacles, headed to the last location (with a cool moment of going to the kitchen just to the meat to deal with the monster, lucking out on stealing a key and finding a back way in), solved the riddle, found the girl was somehow involved and beat up a monster, stopping the ritual. (But not getting a special cube, because we sent the wrong person to that space and Bob wouldn't let us go back after).

Like I say, it was fun, but we effectively figured out what was happening in the first run, and there weren't any further significant developments in the actual story. It was all quite pedestrian really. It was fine for a first case, but I guess my concern is that if they're designing scenarios around a fixed number of cards, there's going to be a limit as to how deep and complex any of the stories can actually be. There's a lot of potential here, but unless we're looking at future scenarios with twice the number of cards designed for longer/more runs, I'm not sure how interesting they can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the story equally uninspiring. What made you love the game? Beyond the story there was little else there to make me like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
The novelty of experiencing that sort of branching story in a board game, and puzzles were pretty neat too. And to be fair on the story, it wasn't actively bad, just a bit slight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My opinion,

Well... I hope future scenario's will actually explain more of this cult because it didn't make much sense. Why is this a temporal rift? Why did the girl want to escape? What were the monsters? How did the doctors acquire their magic powers? Who was the girl and why did she want to escape?

It's a mediocre story unless they explore upon it in future scenarios.

It was my only real complaint with the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
My opinion,

Well... I hope future scenario's will actually explain more of this cult because it didn't make much sense. Why is this a temporal rift? Why did the girl want to escape? What were the monsters? How did the doctors acquire their magic powers? Who was the girl and why did she want to escape?

It's a mediocre story unless they explore upon it in future scenarios.

It was my only real complaint with the game
Totally agree with all of you, and particularly this.

We had fun exploring, but the scenario itself leaves so many questions unresolved, very frustrating (as many as an X-Files episode ).

I used to do much RPG when I was younger, so TS was quite a letdown.
It may be a novelty for boardgamers, but once you've played some RPGs, this feels a bit dry.

I'll still play the following scenarios with my gaming group (I'm not the ownner of the game and I never intend to purchase it), but I certainly hope the next ones will be better.

Already dreading the Marcy Case because I heard the focus is on combat (hope this is not considered as a spoiler).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our playthrough. My group simply loved the story, but I was expecting a bit more towards the end (like others, I actively play RPGs). After the relatively quick battle, it felt like things just ended. There needed to be a card or two with some denoument. The battle itself didn't feel very tense either. To me, the high point was really finding the pentacles and solving the puzzle.

I liked the game, but expected way more out the ending.

Due to the positive response, we'll end up getting Marcy Case. But, I hope that the story in future expansions does get a bit more refinement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call him
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These scenarios have been in development for years. I wonder how the three month release schedule will impact quality of the upcoming expansions. Naturally there will be different people developing each one so it won't be 3 months start to finish, but I assume there will be more time (ha) pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've seen some people say the liked the Marcy Case better than the Asylum. Fingers crossed the story is more cleared out, or actually kind of continuing the Asylum.

There has to be some continuity at least, because in the Asylum

Spoiler (click to reveal)
there was an optional item you could find. A strange cube reading "Temporalis Il Occultis" which you had to keep until a future scenario

So fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls