Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am organizing the first annual Ohio Heavy Con.

While we won't turn anyone away, the goal of the convention is to play those heavy games that are hard to get played at most casual, public evening meet-ups.

Location: Epic Loot has offered to host it at their new Springfield location http://epiclootgames.com/index.html?location=1475.

Dates: February 26 (7 pm) - February 28 (2 pm). People can start earlier on Friday and stay later on Sunday, but the "tournament" will only include games started and finished during that time.

Times:
Friday: 7pm - 1am (may arrive any time after noon)
Saturday: 9am - 1am
Sunday: 9am - 2pm (may stay till 6pm)

Cost: $10 for the weekend. $5 for one day. Covers the space and a plaque for the tournament winner.

Food: Not included. The location is in a mall so mall food will be available for most of the time. There are also restaurants in the area if people want something healthier.

T-Shirts: I was going to include them in the price, but decided against it. I'll have a graphic and price for them in the next month or so for people who are interested.

Sleeping Arrangements: I live about 30 - 40 minutes from the location, but people are welcome to crash on my floor/beds if they like. Currently, I haven't made arrangements with any hotels/motels but if there's enough committed interest, I can shop around for one close to the event location.

I think that's everything. If I've forgotten anything let me know. I'd appreciate if people could GM me if they can commit to coming. I don't need the money yet, but at some point the location has to request mall security to stay open late (and pay for it) and I'd like to have the money by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
Microbadge: Leaving Earth fanMicrobadge: Genetics enthusiastMicrobadge: Tokyo Series fanMicrobadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: Oink Games fan
What is expected "experience level" for participants?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
What is expected "experience level" for participants?
It's an open Con, so there's no "expected" experience level.

That said, these are games that can take a long time to teach. So, as much as possible, it'd be nice if people could at least read the rules ahead of time.

My plan is to have a whiteboard set up so people can write down a game they'd like to play, a time they'd like to play it and a number of people they want in the game. Then other people can sign up for it. I do think being able to max out the number of players is important. Just because the box says 5 or 6 or 7, doesn't mean that the game is best with that number.

Beyond that, on the whiteboard, people can request people to read the rules or fast players only or whatever. It's a double-edged sword though. If you put that down, you may discourage enough people that your game ends up not happening. You can also write down that it's a teaching game or that you've yet to play it and would like someone who has played it. To me, it's like dating. Ask for what you like but be aware that being too picky or exclusive may backfire.

"Heavy Con" is such a wide-open term. Are you talking Arkham Horror? Then, people can be taught "enough" quickly and then start playing and figuring out as you go. I've never played TI3 or Advanced Civ, but I'd expect both games lend themselves to that too. Then there's a game like 1817 or 18OE (full game). I'd actively discourage people who have never played 18XX from playing it, but if someone has played 18XX but not those particular games, then have at it.

I've already had people mention games like Tzolkin or Terra Mystica. For those games, I personally wouldn't worry about level of experience, but others might disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls